Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Problems With Your Sax? My reeds keep breaking

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mark Kiziuk
    Participant

Hi all! I’m trying to figure out why the thin part of my reeds keep breaking. It kind of looks like little bits being broken off by the tips. I’m new to saxophones (2 weeks) so I’m going to try to explain things the best way possible. When I first got my sax I was using Rico 2 and 2.5. (They are the reeds that came with the sax). I do NOT put the reed level with the tip of the mouthpiece, I make sure all the time I put the reed on, I move the reed down until I see a small gap between the tip of the mp to the tip of the reed, so I assume I’m doing that part right. And I snug the ligature and I don’t over tighten it. I’m basically trying to say that I believe everything is set right. The Rico’s NEVER BROKE! I just bought a bunch of Lazaro 1.5 reeds (I bought 1.5 because that’s what it calls out for in the training course), but ALSO at the same time as I got the new reeds I started to practice saying the word “TA” and then stopping the reed with my tongue. So it could be the brand “Lazarro”, it could be that 1.5 is too thin for me or it could be saying “TA”. I hope it’s the brand or the 1.5 size. I want to try one of my Rico’s but I only have 2 of them and they are costly compared to the Lazarro.
      Mark

Pete
      Participant

Mark are you putting your reed guard on the mouthpiece
        if you are be careful you can catch it on the tip, also
        you could be tonging to severe just a thought hope this helps.

Pete
        Participant

Sorry meant to say mouthpiece guard.

Mark Kiziuk
          Participant

Hey Peter! I use the reed with the mouthpiece, then after I’m done practicing I remove the reed. I just went to Amazon and looked at the reviews on these reeds, a few people complained about then as well. I guess I will buy Rico from now on. But Which Rico? They got red ones, blue ones, select ones, etc. I’m getting confused being new.
            Mark

Jazz Cat
            Participant

best reeds imo are vandoren javas

Pete
              Participant

Mark
                There are no best reeds, it is which one suites you
                but I find la voz are ok and vandoren zz are ok
                just be careful how you handle them and store them
                after use. I have split hundreds of reeds through
                being careless.

Mark Kiziuk
                Participant

Hey Peter! I handle the reeds very good! I know not to put the reed flush with the top of the mp, so I never do. I don’t bring the reed exactly a hair away from the tip of the mp, could it be that I bring it to far away from the tip of the mp? I bring it down probably about 1/16th to 1/32th of an inch away from the tip. Or maybe after I say TA and put my tongue against the reed to stop the reed. I really don’t know?
                  I was just getting good at this too!
                  Also, for Jazz Cat, which type of vandoren javas do you use?

Pete
                  Participant

Mark
                    Sounds like you are doing everything ok keep reed
                    about no more than 1/16 from tip or flush which I do
                    imo don’t worry to much about tonging to stop the
                    every note that will come in time.
                    Try also another stronger reed ?

Mark Kiziuk
                    Participant

Hey again Peter, I got it down rather well with starting a note with TA then stopping the note with my tongue. I tried one of my Rico reeds at a 2 strength and had a bit of difficulty blowing into the sax. AND…The Rico reed has a chip in it now too! Something I’m doing wrong that I’m just not catching? Well..I bought 20 Lazarro strength reeds, so I have some to tide me over until We can figure out why the reeds keep chipping after I finish playing.
                      Mark

Anonymous

Hi Mark – everything you say sounds correct. The only thing is you’re not telling us how you stop the reed with your tongue?

And you’re not telling us if you wet the reed before playing it (do you lick the reed or dip it in water or play on a dry reed?)

Also do you soak brand new reeds in water for a few minutes before playing them?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 30 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.