Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Show Us Your Sax My New P.Mauriat Tenor

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kenn
    Participant

Finally…I found the tenor for me! I’m lovin’ every note. Next is a new MP and Ligature.

Kenn

Dazza
      Participant

Hey Kenn.

Heard good things about PM’s. What other brands did you try before settling on that one. Was it tone or feel that sold you on it. You don’t see these on sale in the shops in Australia sadly so I can’t even try one.

Kenn
        Participant

Hi Dazza,

I first tried a couple of older horns. A Selmer Bundy II and a Holton 241. I’ve also tried a couple of Yamaha’s and a couple of others but no big names though. The Yamaha’s are most common in my area. I liked the feel of them but the tone just wasn’t for me. I had done some research on the Mauriat’s and the more I read (and heard) about them the more I researched. No one locally sold them and I had my eye on a demo on the internet. I was really hesitant to purchase over the internet as I wanted to feel the horn first and foremost. One day I went in to see my instrument repair man and happened to mention the Mauriat. He told me he is authorized to sell them. He went on and told me (not a sales pitch) about their earlier years vs. now. He only had an alto but if I wanted to order a tenor with no obligation to purchase he would do it. He ordered this one and I immediately loved the feel and tone. And to top it off the price was better than the internet demo because he doesn’t have a big store with a lot of overhead. The Mauriat is a heavier horn much like the older horns I tried.

Kenn

Mel
          Participant

I currently am renting my Selmer student tenor saxophone. After a year if I purchase a saxophone the amount I paid in renting can be applied to a purchase. I am only going to by a step up model and have had an eye on a P. Mauriat PMXT 66R as a possible choice. The other 2 choices are a Selmer STS 280 R La Voix 11 and A Yamaha YTS 62iii.

Any thoughts about these choices????

Thanks- Mel

Kenn
            Participant

Hi Mel,

The P.Mauriat I got is that one, the PMXT-666R with the vintage dark lacquer and is classed as a professional sax. I’ve actually had it for about 4 months now and love it. It’s well built and has the tone and feel I wanted. I did try a couple of Yamaha’s, not sure if that model was one I tried out but I do remember seeing it. I know a few who have Yamaha tenors and the love ’em. It just wasn’t for me…that’s all. I didn’t look at any Selmers so I can’t comment on those. With all that said though, I’m no expert on saxes although I’ve had a student Martin alto sax for years. All I went by is how the tenor felt and sounded to my liking. I suggest you do the same.

I see you are a WI. Badger. If you decide on a Mauriat, I got mine at a small shop on the WI./IL. stateline. Send me a message if you like.

Kenn

Dazza
              Participant

I don’t know this guys credentials but you would have to be confident in purchasing with a write up like this. Kenn, any issues for you with the Octave key? Sounds like a decent horn though and certainly one a serious novice could have for a lifetime.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Tenor/mauriat_66r_tenor.htm

Kenn
                Participant

Dazza,

I remember reading that article while researching. That article was written in 2008. Even prior to that they brought on professionals (I forget the names, would have to look that up again) in a honest attempt to make a much better horn because everything coming out of Taiwan was junk. So they started making a better horn and listened to their critics for improvement and fixing issues. They no longer engrave the cities of London, Paris, etc. on the horns (at least on my model they don’t). Not sure why they did that in the first place. They’ve also included (engraved) “Made in Taiwan” above the S/N. I think since the article was written, especially the last 5-6 years they have a much improved, quality horn. I believe P.Mauriat are very proud of their horns these days. I wouldn’t recommend an older one, say pre2010 but the new ones I would if it meets your criteria for sound and feel.

I haven’t had any issues what so ever thus far. But then again I’ve only had it 4-5 months. The shop where I bought it from had sold a half dozen or so late last year and earlier this year. One local individual, a semi-pro musician had bought both an alto and a tenor. All, including himself gave rave reviews on these horns. Once I held and played it…I was sold. And the price was just icing on the cake.

Kenn

Michael Bishop
                  Participant

Hi Kenn,
                    Gorgeous Sax, very nice Kenn 🙂 That Sax has a raw kind of finish, doesn’t it? Those things are super loud, resonates like crazy because there’s no lacquer other than just a chemical dip. Very happy for you, so cool 🙂 Would love to hear you upload with it some time. Don’t you just love this instrument? Saxophone4life 🙂

Kenn
                    Participant

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah…the finish is a Vintage Dark Lacquer which does appear to be a vintage horn without all the years of use. What I can’t believe is that it’s so free blowing, especially compared to my Martin alto. I am now looking into some recording options and then hopefully this year yet I’ll be able to post a tune or two. But first I would like to upgrade my MP and ligature. Right now I’m not sure if I want to go right to the big boys or take it in a step or two. And yeah, I’ve always felt the sax had the best sound and appeal of any woodwind or brass instruments.

Kenn

Mel
                      Participant

Kenn-

I stayed with the Selmer line for now and got the La Voix ii Laquer. I think your P .Mauriat is a beautiful sax. I also very much like the Trevor James Raw.

Yes I am a Big badger fan!

Mel

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.