Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself My first attempt at recording

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    jake
    Participant

I would totally give it a try. That doesn’t seem out of your league at this point. The openings on them are probably around .105 or so I would say. It may be a tad bit at first but you will quickly adjust. I use .120 openings on the couple pieces I use for my tenor. At first the hardest notes that I found most difficult are the bottom notes of the tenor, (low Bb, low B) Once you adjust and drop that jaw they come back pretty quickly.

wayne wojnarowski
      Participant

Jake I have a JUMBO java A75 alto MP ever hear of it? Would a Metal MP improve my tone Any??? I tried the Jumbo last night yes it chirped and sounded buzzy but maybe I get my chops up on it, and save money . what type do you use? in regards to reed strength I doctor them up with razors and sandpaper a old classical guy turned me on to it. It can quickly ruin reeds However it also saves those 2by 4s in making them playable.Doesn’t suck that we have to work for a living I wish I could play like Johnnie does. By the way the MP is made by Vandoren.

wayne wojnarowski
        Participant

Hey man I really liked your Feliz Navidad, I’m going out right now to get some Mexican food and a Santa hat, I like the growl that you put in there as well. Lets get all of us together and jam I’m a drummer as well , can I ask what kind of camera you were using was it pricey do you like it were did you get it?? Happy thanksgiving!!

jake
          Participant

Yea Wayne I have a jumbo for my alto as well. I really don’t play my alto that much, when I do its not really fast rockin songs, more of songs like Baker Street, Turn the Page, Harden my Heart, lil slower stuff. I really don’t care for my Vandoren Jumbo java for these tunes. It really cranks but seems a little bright/sharp for my liking. I much prefer the Meyer 6 that I have. The Meyer seems to be a little more subtle and I get a good sound from it.

I don’t think a metal mp will necessarily give you a better tone. It will most likely brighten it up depending on what type of mp you use now. From what I have learned here and from others is the best thing you can do is play those long tones. If you don’t have it, check out Johnny’s daily practice routine course. Very easy fundamentals that will improve your tone for sure. Long tones, taking in a fair amount of mouthpiece and breathing from the diaphragm are what needs to be worked on to build up to a nice big sound on the sax.

wayne wojnarowski
            Participant

Hey Jake I also have a Meyer 6 maybe I’ll just practice on them like you said and save some cash!

john
              Keymaster

@wayne
                The 5 chord is probably the most used chord besides the one chord
                It is mostly used to resolve into the one chord
                When we hear a 5 chord we expect it to resolve to the one
                As for your blues exercise I thought you played it really well
                I suggest laying back a bit as it sounds rushed
                What I do is listen to the snare and make sure the 2nd beat is even with it cause as you know the snare always hits on 2 and 4

William Cingolani
                Participant

I like the metal Jody Jazz 7* Chicago for tenor sax http://www.jodyjazz.com/dv.chicago.sax.mouthpiece.html

wayne wojnarowski
                  Participant

Hey johnnie thanks for the compliment! I was rushing, I had you on my right headphone and my left 1/2 off to hear me guess it’s my polish recording chops (ha ha ) I’m hoping I can get some of the guys to jam on line Michael Brecker wants to start a forum band, sounds cool to me! I would love to drum with everyone! Are there any exercises to be had to hear the 5 wanting to resolve to the 1? I saw the patterns for jazz book in the 5chord explanation any in there?

john
                    Keymaster

Yes the 5 chord is explained in detail in my Major Scale Improvisation Course

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.