Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Show Us Your Sax My 1965 Selmer Signet (Buescher Model) Tenor Sax

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Signet 1Signet 2Signet 3Signet 4

I couldn’t resist from getting picking up this Sax: 1965 Selmer Signet, specifically a Buescher-model 🙂 These model of Selmers are becoming VERY hard to find but were quite popular back in the day. I found a good deal on it and I jumped on it. I play tested it and the Bell is very broad, help projects a very deep/full sound. Subtones are beautiful, but the upper register is very full with lots of ‘bite’ to it. I have some folks who I’m paying to fully restore this Sax for me, will keep you guys posted on the progress…very excited about this one 🙂 I posted a great article that sax player Paul Race wrote about it a few years ago-I reached out to him before making the decision to buy it and he assured me I got a great deal. Sorry if the images didn’t turn out larger–have to use an imaging site like postimage to put pics here on the forum.
      https://schooloftherock.com/html/1968_signet_tenor_sax.html

Mel
      Participant

Nice buy Michael!!!

jak Swift
        Participant

That’s a real nice alto Michael….nice one !!
          Do you have a mpc in mind ?

Michael Bishop
          Participant

It’s not an Alto, it’s a Tenor. Just using my same set up–Ebonite MP with a Winslow ligature and 2.5 Alexander Superial Cane Reeds.

brother cavefish
            Participant

more power too you, if your looking for an insane MP Johannes Gerber, ben Allen or ishimuri wood stone

Michael Bishop
              Participant

Update on my Selmer Signet: I took it to the shop today. There’s 5 pads that need replacing, the upper body of the sax was a little out of alignment & the key holder that the neck strap attaches to needed to be replaced, which he said is nothing out of the norm for a Sax from 1965 and overall it was in great shape. I bought it from the original owner–he hadn’t used it in about 6 years–and the sax repair man said the owner took very good care of it. It just needed a little bit of lovin’ and this ‘kitten’ of a Sax will be good to go 🙂

jak Swift
                Participant

Ooooops !!😉

jak Swift
                  Participant

Been a tiring week, I only glanced briefly…
                    ” kitten ” huh !!. Well, well….

jak Swift
                    Participant

Michael, hi. This is your post, but I have to admit I’m curious as to why you used the word ” kitten ” in your tale of buying this horn. I tried to warn you off of this seller a while back, the whole forum. I assume you used it to make the point you bought it off of e bay. Is that right ? Did you buy it off of kitten whisper, are you kitten whisper. You’ve dropped that word for a reason. Is it important..? To me….well yeah !!
                      Look forward to your reply….thanks😐

jak Swift
                      Participant

Well, Michael has chosen not to answer. That’s fine. Five pads missing, upper stack out of whack ( its bent ). Hope you’ve got a GREAT TECH Michael !!
                        I’m not going to mention this again , but avoid E bay seller ” kitten whisper ” at all costs.
                        I got the same description on the Hammerschmidt; how the guy had owned and cared for it for many years; it arrived an absolute mess. Looked great on the shots; wouldn’t play a note.
                        I’m actually trying to help a great bunch of people here Michael. Warn them off of sellers with no scruples.
                        Safe & Happy day folks…..☺

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.