Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Share a Video Music to listen to.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Tim56
    Participant

Hey folks. I have sent Johnny tunes to listen to on you tube from time to time. So, here’s a good one that I heard when I was in Jr. high school Buddy Lucas and the gone all stars “711” Gone was a record label in New York in the 50’S. I know you will all like it. Have fun. Post your tunes too. Tim

john
      Keymaster

great stuff Tim. that guy had the good rockin’ tone man!

Tim56
        Participant

Johnny: Thanks for putting this up for me. This is real fun. I have been playing some of it. Bit by bit I may get it? Tim

Anonymous

interesting – i like the second song i can hear where its going, every instrument fits together like hand and glove.

the 1st song i only like the begining and the ending parts, when the sax goes off on an improvisation route, it just seems like he’s gone completely off track and doing his own thing, while the guitar just
            caries on in his own world. Still got to be honest we all can’t like the same thing otherwise life would be dull.

Michael Bishop
            Participant

That is some GOOD stuff Tim–thanks for sharing this. I had to go to youtube and click like on it 🙂 Today’s modern hip-hop type of music just can’t compare!

Tim56
              Participant

James. I agree with you on some improvisations on many tunes. This does not bother me at all. If you listen to, “Sam The Man Taylor” do, “Harlem Nocturne” Sam goes off the reservation completely for me. He has one of the best sounds in Tenor history. You tube him and you can listen to many of his tunes. Improv for me has to be controlled. Many Jazz players play to the point of total misunderstanding for my tastes. Hey, were all different in tastes huh? Tim

Anonymous

just listened to “Sam the Man Taylor” do “Harlem Nocturne” 1st time i’ve heard it! Now that is class – that is a wicked rearrangement and it does work and i can understand what he’s doing with it – it all fits together.

When i listen to a piece if i don’t like it – i try and workout out what it is about that i don’t like likewise if i like a piece of music i want to know what it is i like about it. Sometimes when i listen to tune, certain parts of it don’t sound right, i get the feeling they haven’t fully worked through it? they couldn’t be bothered?, or just lack of creative talent?

All these people are top notch players, i can like them all for just playing exceptionaly well! But for me i’d like to hear more about why people like/or not like their song or what they’ve done to ruin/improve it.

just the way i am!

Tim56
                  Participant

James: I messed up!!! I mixed Taylor with someone else. His version is outstanding!. Everything works. I have to listen to him more to add some of what he is doing to my playing. I have the original music in F. I also have Johnny’s version that is like the Viscounts version. Tim

Anonymous

No problem Tim, honesty is the best policy!
                      When it comes to kids, i have to bend the truth a lot,
                      encouragement outweighs discouragement!
                      When it comes to singers, you have to be cruel to be kind,
                      just watch them singers on X factor that have been mislead
                      into thinking they are good by greedy singing teachers.

Off the scale playing occurs in classical music as well.
                      A friend of mine who recently passed his grade 8 sax in
                      his early 20’s, invited me along to a classical concert
                      to hear him play in the orchestra.
                      The concert was open to the general public, but was more
                      geared towards students, sort of master class if you like.
                      I sat through a lot of thinking – what is this all about,
                      all technical, the conductor was describing beforehand
                      what everything was about, composer, piece.. etc etc..

Then i woke up when he said, this composer wrote this
                      piece to prove that you can play 2 different songs at
                      once and make it work.
                      Half the orchestra played one song while the other half
                      played the another song. At first i had to focus on one song
                      to blott out the other, then eventually my mind gave up
                      and merged both into one – weird.

Like the time i walked to work singing a song, only to
                      realise i was singing the song to the tune of some other song.
                      i though i was beginning to lose grip! very disconcerting.

But i do agree with you some of that jazz stuff is on another
                      planet.

Tim56
                      Participant

James: I played in my local City College orchestra for 3 quarters. My first teacher is the leader. He teaches woodwinds and conducts at the college. He is a clarinet player. He is in many groups. First chair all the time. 35 years of teaching in the Arizona public schools. I was his first old guy to start with never playing before. He put up with me! Back to the orchestra, It drove me nuts!!! Play a note and then sit. Then another note. Drove me crazy. My teacher knew it. He told me that I have to get with a small group and learn in that way. I listened to another teacher on the net that says that’s one of the best ways to improve. Johnny said the same to me some time ago. So far, I have no one in my town to get together with. I check with the music store in my town often! Oh well. Tim

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.