Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Music Theory Music Key, chord & mode table

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

just resubmitting – made an error in the #’s, just in case anyone uses these

for #’s i use G’ood D’ay A’ustralia E’very B’ody (loves) F’rying C’hips
      for b’s i use F’ive B’E’A’D’s (in a) G’reat C’ircle
      theres loads of these on the internet

Anonymous

Hi Andrew, thank you for this info, its helpful because I’m presently looking into harmony and counterpoint. I picked up two books from a second hand store but they are a little too advanced for me at this stage. My playing is becoming more automatic as my fingers are reaching for the keys without me thinking about the note. I look forward to the stage when I can focus solely on rhythm and improvisation, not having to constantly worry about fingering and embouchure.

I’ve just ordered two books ‘The Elements of Music – Melody, Rhythm and Harmony by Jason Martineau and ‘How Music Works’ – A Listener’s Guide to Harmony, Keys, Broken Chords, Perfect Pitch and the Secrets of a Good Tune by John Powell. Cheers

Andrew Gibson
        Participant

Thanks Jeff. I’ve been on here for a while without commenting much. I’ve played the bagpipes for 30 years and trying my hand at sax now. One thing I do remember from competitions is not to focus TOO much on what you are doing, which might apply to fingering, embouchre etc.

My current regime is to keep things simple; so I’ve spent the last month playing and jamming to just the D blues/minor scale to know it inside out, and at speed. Next I will look at the other minor scales associated with D, the IV and V (G and A) which I’m finding have very similar notes. And then work my way through the other scales.

Andrew

Anonymous

Hi Andrew, its just as Johnny prescribes. One must know the basics very well and be familiar with each key and scale.

When I played the piano I used to just rattle through all the scales, one after the other thinking it was just a boring finger exercise. Understanding the theory and putting the info to work, which must be understood well (2nd nature) for one to be able to improvise properly.

Thanks for the tip on playing in a mentally relaxed mode. On the physical side it took me quite a while to learn to relax the fingers when not pressing a key which is important for speed. From boardsailing I know that one cannot react quickly enough for precise control, if one’s muscles are continually tensed up.

I wonder if you new skills on the sax will improve your Bagpipe playing too? I’d imagine it will. Cheers

Anonymous

Hi Jeff, i know you uploaded the grid table ages ago, but recently i started using the ion,dor,lyd,mix and aolian scales properly, so the grid has now come in real handy for a quick reference – cheers sxpoet

Mel
              Participant

Great reference guide! Thanks for the work done on this.

Anonymous

Thanks guys. You can have confidence in the table because I have checked it against a number of my music theory books. Memorising major scales is one thing, but I don’t know how anyone can memorise all those modes. I have laminated my sheets and have them around my house and books for quick reference. Cheers

Anonymous

Here’s a stripped down reference for when transposing music from concert to Bb for Tenor or Eb for Alto.

http://tangram.co.za/sft.pdf

The darker squares are the keys with flats.

I stuck this image on the side of my PC for quick reference.

Anonymous

Here’s an interesting article on the modes which will explain how to use my grid table.

How The Chord-Scale System Has Failed You: 6 Steps to Freedom With Scales and Modes

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.