Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces MP's don't all sound the same!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

When listening to Johnny’s Guardala sound comparison it is clear to me that each MP has it’s own personality.

I recently sort some advice from sxpoet on upgrading from my standard 4C plastic MP to a Ebonite (hard rubber MP).
      He mentioned various makes and then kindly offered me his Selmer S80** for my YAS-26 Alto.

It arrived last week and although I am still not fully recovered from a cold, I just had to give it a try on Sunday.

Well besides looking brand new and like a Ferrari to me, I was surprised how very different it felt to play. I have better control over the notes, and now I can play much softer too without losing control. If I was flying, I would say that this MP allows me to glide and hover with greater ease. Regarding sound, it has changed dramatically from before. It sounds darker more woodwind and less harsh brass like.

Beverly said, “I’m very impressed with your new sound, blown away – LOL. The tone is far more mellow and easier to listen to.”
      Compared to when I practiced with the 4C, after an hour, it would be too much for her and she would secretly melt away to another part of the house.
      I don’t think she’ll allow me to play the 4C in the house now, Ooops!

These are early days yet and it took me years to begin to play properly on the 4C. I’m looking forward to my new sound once I’m properly accustomed to this wonderful S80** acoustic converter from sxpoet.

I can appreciate why these top MP’s cost so much, as it’s all in their performance.
      So if you are thinking about an upgrade, try it first and experience the benefits.

The forum member’s generosity on the site is amazing, and now I have a brand new Sax, the YAS-26 S80** 😉

Marc
      Participant

I too play on a Selmer S-80 E (somewhat larger tip than the C*) and the difference compared to the stock Yamaha 4C in my tenor is huge. After some months with it, I went up from a Rico Royal #2.5 reed to a #3 and noticed how rounded fuller sound I’m getting. Yep… it’s more air-demanding than the Y4C of course, but hey… that helps a lot in developing a strong breathing apparatus as well, doesn’t it?

john
        Keymaster

yes, every time we make a jump up to a larger mp or reed strength it gets a little tougher
          but that’s how we make improvements to our sound and so not is it well worth it but necessary!

Anonymous

Hi Johnny

With this particular MP, the Selmer S80 C**, I found it easier to control with a greater level of comfort and expression.
            I’m using the same used Vandoren Java #2 reeds that I was using on the 4C.

The tip opening is a little larger, but the orifice in the middle of the MP is square and smaller than the 4C’s. I think this gives me a bit more back-presssure, hence more control for expression. My fingers are still a little stiff after not playing for a week, but the MP3 will give you an idea of the improvement in tone. Note the more woodwind, less brass like, quality to the tone.

Shuffle MP3

Anonymous

@Jeff – I like the tune, must confess the first time i listened, i was more interested in hearing how it sounded in comparison to your previous 4c uploads, so was listening more to hear how it has changed your sound!

Definite improvement of tone compared to the 4c, you sound has now changed a lot, which just goes to show a step up in mouthpiece size can make a big difference in sound quality and the way you sound. There’s only so much you can do exercise wise to improve your sound, that won’t achieve the same as upgrading a mouthpiece.

Look forward to hearing more stuff!
              cheers
              sxpoet

Anonymous

@Jeff just relistened your last 2 uploads from 5 months ago, quite right the S80 definitely sounds more woodwind than the 4c.

Anonymous

@Jeff – you really only need to upgrade your mouthpiece to the next sizes up, once you’ve outgrown your current one, probably what most teachers would advise.

Anonymous

Yep! I’m very happy with my hardware now. The next upgrade is for the skills set of the operator.

https://magicmusicianfingers.com/PurelyFingers.html

I bought this course and have seen some improvement. As a child playing piano I used to learn to play the pieces twice as fast, and then slow them down adding the proper expression. The finger movements have to be automatic. Presently I spend too much time thinking about the fingers, instead of the music. I could hardly move my third fingers and working the table keys by stretching out the fourth finger was really difficult at first.

Anonymous

@Jeff – keep us posted with process of that course book!
                      cheers

Anonymous

@Jeff – after reading the stuff on the magicmusicianfingers i’m going to buy the 1st book and try it out. I might find it useful for playing guitar, as i notice with the guitar playing, my 4th finger never moves as fast as the 1st and 2nd fingers. So this must also apply to sax playing.

Thanks for sharing – might be worth sharing in the tips forum.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.