Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Maxsax bob shepard

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    jak Swift
    Participant

That’s a great attitude Sxpoet , nice one.
      I’m similar, I’ve given a few mpcs away rather than be petty for the sake of a few bucks.
      The price of instruments , mpcs etc is getting ridiculous. That’s after you’ve sorted through which horns are Tai, Chinese etc.
      Everything has to be made somewhere; this guarded secrecy is a real problem, I’d hate to be starting out, paying $2500 for. a horn which costs 10 % of that at source. Sure everybody has to turn a $$ or two, but certain companies point blank refuse to give out this information.
      So, start of another playing week. I’m undecided about my 10M as much as I love its lush sound, I’m pretty unhappy about another trip to Al , my tech to get this fork fingering sorted out. There has to be a major leak somewhere…😕
      I took a look on ” preloved ” this morning. A guy has had a Lupifaro for sale for a while. I’m just going to send him a mail. If he will trade, chances are, I will go for it. No huge issue , just a real pain. My second tenorsax is a clunky old thing but that altissimo just pops out. As much as I love playing ballads, getting this chromatic altissimo down is this weeks workload.
      Bro Cavefish, if you do decide to sell one of your darker mpcs, please send me a private message.
      Right now, compared to what I had two years back, things are fabulous. Constant niggling issues are a part of playing vintage horns…..we’ll see !!
      Safe & happy week folks…
      Sxpoet, hope the back gets better soon man..

jak Swift
      Participant

THE 10M IS GOOD !! Thankfully !!
        A trip to Al my tech is always a pleasure, but the last thing I need at the beginning of the week was the thought of a double round trip.
        Sometimes I’ll stay whilst he fixes a leak or bits of cork…that stuff.
        I didn’t want my 10M to have issues, the neck system is a one off, Conn measurements. I don’t think I’ve ever know Al not to be able to fix something up. On the odd occasion , he’ll say ” send this back ” or ” flip it ” ( sell it )
        It was my intention to leave it with him for a full going over, but first I had to be sure…
        Man, altissimo Monday…Stormy Monday …literally.
        So, its all in the chops. Vowel sounds \ directing they air stream almost like a whistle. I’d go on but its all Allard stuff ( if that’s your thing ).
        I’m still on the pad , can’t load stuff. If you go on James Carter you tube page, there is a clip of him playing ” walkin the dog ” in Central Park NYC.
        Its AMAZING !! A great visual image of what I’m trying to say, but taken to another level.
        Man I thank the sax guru karma dudes. The 10M is GOOD ….YEAH !!!!!☺☺☺☺

Anonymous

Cheers Jak, my backs a lot better now, only twinges if i sit down too long, then it only hurts when i stand up, or suddenly turn around. So i’m ok for standing up and playing the sax and walking about. Compared to Saturday, i was practically looking at the ground while walking.

Great to hear your 10M is in working order! Crack on with Allard.
          I started working on exercises in a music book called “Saxophone Aerobics by Woody Mankowski” … talk about difficult, you get one new line of music per day for 52 weeks to practice. But thats the only way to progress..

jak Swift
          Participant

Sxpoet, good to hear your on the mend man. Right, just got back from another check on my arm; I can’t believe its more than a year since the ” accident “.
            Good days and more painful days. It is what it is and hey, I’m playing !!
            So 10M time, let’s see what the altissimo is saying today…..have a safe & happy one folks….😉

jak Swift
            Participant

Yup, altissimo is good. I’m gonna have to put in the work on my ” music room “. Nothing g extravagant; plasma screen for dots, big speakers !! All linked up to this pad right now.
              I spent a good few $$ on a real nice Sony soundbar. Its only small, but heavy…. Big sound.
              The real issue is putting up a ” dead corner “. Some baffles to soak up the sound. Watching James Carter has made me want to get into my Lawton….but man, it is LOUD !!
              Yeah, thanks Jeff, those JC ( No not that one !! )..clips were unreal. At 9.30 am I had my ” blues sheets ” out and my Abersold ” blues in every key “….essential.
              They are pretty tough blues also. Even if you play the root note each bar to begin, followed by the arpeggios….
              Anyhow, that’s Johnny’s course; not for me to comment on my way. Just a ” heads up “….
              ABERSOLD….Blues in all keys !!😉

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.