Home Forums Major Scale Improvisation Course Major Scale Improvisation Course Coming Soon

This topic contains 22 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by saxjohnny saxjohnny 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Aminn Ellis
    Aminn Ellis
    Participant

It would be awesome to have perfect pitch! I have pretty good relative pitch after doing lots of ear training on my own. It helps for sight reading music for singing, too. It can really bug me though.. If somebody is just slightly off with an instrumental, or if two people are doing a duet and they’re just slightly out of tune, I almost can’t listen, even if they do have an amazing tone. All I can think about is about how out of tune it is. Likewise, when were singing in choir (Which the one I’m in is awful haha) we’ll start singing a song and then a measure or two later we’ll be like a whole step flat and eventually the whole choir will be singing in like three different keys at the same time. I just can’t deal with the fact of how out of tune we are so I drop out until the teacher gives us the real pitches again! We have a bass player in our jazz band who has perfect pitch, I bet that that would be really useful when coming up with different bass lines.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

When i watch singers on Tv,
    i don’t say anthing when i
    hear flat notes etc.. as
    everyone in the room says shut up
    the mans a great singer!

I’ve given up as i would start
    getting angry because they couldn’t hear it !
    most people can’t hear the odd off notes, they tend to hear a series of off notes.

A couple of months into learning the sax i suddenly stopped playing
    and my teacher asked me why have
    you stopped – i said i couldn’t
    play the note, didn’t know what it
    sounded like, my fingers were in the correct place – my mind just
    blank! He did a pitch test straight away on me, he played
    keyboard notes and asked me
    what they were – but didn’t say
    anything – i presume i’m more
    relative pitch perfect!

A couple of years ago a female band leader gave me a song sheet with the accompanyment notes & the chords for guitar and asked me to play the song on my guitar.

i looked at and said i can’t play that, i’ve never heard the song and dont know how it goes, theres no melody notes either. So i asked her to sing the song then once i’ve heard it, i should be able to
    play the chords.

She wasn’t the worlds best singer but she could sing fairly well,
    at least better than, and could
    sing it without any music.

So while she was singing it i was
    struggling to play it! At the end of the song she asked did you get
    it, and out of frustration i replied ‘no you need to sing it
    properly’ – that went down like a
    lead baloon! deadly silence everyone else went quiet ! Whoops

Profile photo of Reg Hite
    Reg Hite
    Participant

Hi Johnny, I see your major scale improvisation course is listed on the web site,is it ready to purchase and download yet?

saxjohnny
    saxjohnny
    Keymaster
    Profile photo of Reg Hite
    Reg Hite
    Participant

Hi Johnny
    I purchased the Major Scale Improvisation course today using the link you provided me above. According to the instructions once payment has been made, then I should receive an email with a link that will take me to the course material to download. Is there any time delay following payment before I receive the link or is it immediate?
    I made the transaction earlier today but as yet I have not received an email with the link.

Regards
    Reg

saxjohnny
    saxjohnny
    Keymaster

Have sent it via email Reg.

William Cingolani
    William Cingolani
    Participant

Re: the course about Modes built off the chord tones. Really fun to play. That’s a great exercise. Playing the scales, up and down remembering where I am, keeping the right tempo. I can apply this to many songs in my stack of music books, like my “Blues in All Keys” book. Thanks Johnny.
    William

saxjohnny
    saxjohnny
    Keymaster

Yes, this major scale stuff will go way beyond the blues stuff too…like most other songs as you will see i the final lessons.

wayne wojnarowski
    wayne wojnarowski
    Participant

Hey johnnie is this were I post my question about I don’t think I understand the relationship of the 5 chord to the rest of the progression?? By the way Mike Bishop, and Johnnie My nephew came over and helped me to release the short pentatonic exercise Killer Blues
    I think I hung in there pretty good. I put it under the title of “introducing myself’

wayne wojnarowski
    wayne wojnarowski
    Participant

Johnnie I don’t know where to post this. I’m assuming we can use the concepts of the Major Improve Course in regards to Mercy Mercy Mercy, what is the concert pitch or should I ask what key are you playing it in? Johnnie would you ever contemplate private lessons over the site or webinars or whatever you would call them.You are probably to busy right?
    I’m thinking of moving into your neighborhood just so I can study with you, Johnnie you are a blessed man great chops!!, humility, a busy work schedule, what more could you ask for? Mercy Mercy Mercy stays in one key Yes??

saxjohnny
    saxjohnny
    Keymaster

yes, when improvising in the Mercy solo section I just used the major scale (one chord) because it just goes from the one to the four over and over (and the chord progression rules everything). so, we can simply use the major scale in this case the C (concert, D for tenor, A for alto)
    check this out by analysing the solo for yourself.

Viewing 11 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.