Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Problems With Your Sax? Low B drives me mad

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    William Cingolani
    Participant

Eugene, How do you get your soundcloud recording posted on this site, not the link to your soundcloud recording but the the actual soundcloud visual recording

William Cingolani
      Participant

Sounds like a leak. If you have a sax tech close by let the sax tech listen to you

Michael Bishop
        Participant

yeah, that sounds like a leaky pad for sure, can literally hear the air leaking out. It’s not very expensive to fix either. Your local repairman will have it fixed in no time at all.

Pete
          Participant

Hi Eugene
            Must say , it does sound like a leak but before you spend
            any cash, check there are no return springs that have ” jumped”
            off also check for pads leaking, by putting a piece of paper under
            then, close the pad and gently pull the paper away if there is
            no resistance that could be the leak. Eugene just a thought
            if you are a beginner, is your mouth piece tip opening to large ?
            Hope this helps.

Pete
            Participant

Eugene
              Forgot to mention one of the most important things
              for the low notes= plenty of air and a looser embouchure.

Eugene Pefti
              Participant

I have no idea, William, why the forum page just doesn’t show the link but embeds the actual recording from soundcloud. I uploaded it normally and pasted the URL into the forum posting 😉 Anyways, thanks a lot to all of you again for steering me into the right direction. Will inspect my horn later today and if leak found will bring it to the Long McQuade shop in Vancouver.

Eugene Pefti
                Participant

And yes, Peter, I’m still a beginner 😉
                  I use Meyer mouthpiece number 5 and wouldn’t say that the opening is too large.
                  Just made few pictures of it, links are below.
                  https://file.io/wuGHEI
                  https://file.io/ZTVjPa
                  https://file.io/g8SCSj
                  Interestingly enough, I just changed the reed and then bent the spring of low C key to be more tight and tried to pay low notes.
                  Almost no vibrating sound. Still, will take the horn to the shop anyway to have it looked at by professionals

john
                  Keymaster

Hi Eugene
                    Forget about sh tones for now
                    I approach low notes much like the highest notes…
                    The full and strong air supply from the diaphragm must be there
                    It’s actuall more work physically to play those low notes than the high ones.
                    I also may loosen up slightly on the embouchure when down low

Mark Kiziuk
                    Participant

One way to find leaks in a saxophone is to remove the neck, then shine a flashlight down the top into the saxophone with the lights off and see if any light shines out of the tone holes. Mind you, some pads are in the open position when you do this, so on these pads you will need to find the correct key to close the pad using normal pressure on the key and not excessive pressure. Also you may need to shine the light into the bell to see if any light shines from the very bottom pads as well. Also the neck pad might be leaking, so to see that you would need to shine the light into the neck. If you see nothing leaking, then the regulation on your keys is out of adjustment. And if you do see a pad leaking, this DOES NOT necessarily mean you have a bad pad! It could mean you need recorking or felt. I fix saxophones on the side.

Eugene Pefti
                      Participant

thanks, Mark! I wish I have a good flashlight that can enter the tube from the top with the neck removed. I’ll drop it to the technician anyway for a regular check 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 29 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.