Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Saxophone Tips Load of stuff to improve your sax (and lighten your wallet)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

The Thumb Hook
      http://www.schuchtsaxtechnology.com/Thumb_Hooks/thumb_hooks.html

The Klangbogrn

Tone Tablet

The Reed Balancer

KB handcrafted sax necks

The Reedjuvinate System

Silverstein Reed Cure

Compass Ligature

The Timbre Trainer

The Warburton P.e.t.e
      https://youtu.be/NosSScqCj4o

The Samute One

The Ve20

The Mouthpiece Silencer

The Breath Builder

The Magilanck Mute

Anonymous

lol

Well when i found all these videos, before i watched all of them, one after another in sequence, i thought this will be nothing but a bunch of gimmicks or as one of my friends would say “a telescope load full of eye sight”. lol

But after watching them all, i am now convinced none of them are gimmicks.

brother cavefish
        Participant

well,,,, sax players have been doing fine without them, the The Klangbogrn might have some science behind it, vibration reduction, , (but good high end necks are in place for that), they are placed in the hole for the music lyre, but most high end saxs don’t have those, my thoughts anyway

Anonymous

i would be tempted to buy the VE20, but that seems a bit too pricey, to make some fancy sounds on the sax.

I watched a documentary where a farmer was saying how he was the first farmer in the village to buy a tranctor, and was saying how all the other farmers in the village said it was a new fangled contraption that wouldn’t catch on. But by the end of two years, all the other farmers were trying to outdo each other by buying bigger tractors!

I’ll just wait until they bring out a new fangled all singing and dancing saxophone with a lot more bells and whistles attached.

Anonymous

Yes … but … is it still a Sax? Perhaps we should just spend more time in practice and practicing, developing our own personal sound? That worked for the great sax players.

brother cavefish
              Participant

actually the VE20 , is sweet for other instruments too, like a NAF, but the thing with these is its a pain in the but to set up, you need an amp, the VE20, 2 power cords, feed cord, and some other one, , if one had a music room no problem, but this would be cool

Michael Bishop
                Participant

Tried posting a comment here and the computer system didn’t show it up. I was just saying about a year ago I saw a live demo of the Klangbogen and it was pretty amazing. Could definately hear a difference with v.s. without it. The projection/tone was much more focused and bright. It’s said to help stabilize the Sax at the tenon/neck area and from what I heard, it definatley was doing something good. Not sure if it’s something that every Sax would respond to, I think he mentions in the interview it helps mostly newer Saxophones because of the construction of the tenon/neck area of newer horns v.s. older horns? Here’s an interview from Mauro about the overall Science about the Klangbogen–pretty cool stuff 🙂

Anonymous

The question that comes to my mind is why top saxophone manufacturers haven’t increased the mass around their neck fasteners, if that is truly all that is required to improve the sound. Surely Selmer and Yamaha would have investigated this thoroughly and incorporated these types of modifications into their top of the range instruments. It wouldn’t be too much of a change to add mass to the neck mounting point. If this really was true surely a straight sax would be the better balanced and best sounding sax? I’ve listened to a straight Soprano and a curved one and I much prefer the sound from the curved Soprano.

Why don’t they measure the improvement in performance, the same way they compare microphones or speakers?

jak Swift
                    Participant

No comment…..Snake oil !!

jak Swift
                      Participant

Seriously, somebody made the point, did the greats; Webster, Hawk, Prez, use this stuff.
                        No !!! Did they sound unreal and set the benchmark ?
                        YUP !!
                        So many pointless gimmicks out there, but hey, if they work for you !!
                        Safe & Happy week folks..jak

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.