Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video Lizzy playing 'Something'

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth Wallace
    Participant

Dazza
      Participant

Well done Lizzy. That was brave to play at what looks like a pretty serious event. Was that fun or what and how did the crowd respond? Did you play many songs. I am gearing up for a three song set at my monthly work dinner again in two weeks and crapping myself a bit but know I need to get on stage and out of the practice room.

Elizabeth Wallace
        Participant

Hi Dazza, yes…I didn’t eat for a week!!! I asked myself at one point why I was putting myself under such stress, but it feels wonderful to do it…..everyone appreciated it so much, the guests were full of it, they love the instrument and to be honest, I think musicians are their worst critics. Its a very good thing to watch yourself (its the first video that has been taken of me) and I can see where improvements need to be made. My high octave notes are poor, I need to develop these …I also was very aware that it was a pre-drinks do…and I didn’t want to go blasting high notes….especially if they came out off key…so I laid back a bit! All in all…I’m quietly soooo proud of performing…..it does wonders for your confidence. I have about 30 songs on my playlist now, if I find a piece too difficult I simplify it…better to be simple and correct than try and play something that’s too difficult…..I leave certain pieces to improve on…..that includes some of Mr Ferreira’s!!!!! Aint no sunshine is on my list but I keep skipping it ….. that really pertinent part that sings ‘I know I know I know’…..aaaah! sometimes I don’t get it right and yes, people would notice…..i’ll get it right in next couple weeks!!!!!

Anonymous

Well played Elizabeth!
            Quite right we musicians are more critical of our playing as we are more knowledgeable!

you’ll have lots of issues with tuning problems if you hold back on the sax for the audiences sake, just let go and play the full volume when needed that will get you a better pitch tone for notes that need it. Don’t sacrifice them for the audience!

Michael Bishop
            Participant

Hi Lizzy,
              Nothing like playing the Sax at a party, especially with Johnny’s backing tracks 🙂 They sound so much like the real thing. What kind of party we’re you playing at? You make a great point about simplifying a difficult piece…for his track/sheet music of “Use Me”, Johnny as sheet music to download for this song that is marked as an “Easy” version for the same reasons that you mention. That would be a cool one to do on the Alto for sure. I recently re-bought “use me” for a friend of mine and downloaded both the easy version and the version that Johnny plays…he chose to learn the easy version 🙂 Thanks for sharing Lizzy, just keep playing..your confidence will continue to grow and you’ll keep getting better and better and having fun doing it.
              DAZZA: Your tone is awesome and I think you’ll be fine. You we’re playing with a Yamaha MP with “Misty” weren’t you? How’s that coming along? I know what you mean about crapping to get ready to play in front of other people…on November 14 I have my first-ever live performance at a talent show and there’s going to be around 200+ people there…I’m so glad Johnny saw the need for me to get a tuner…can you imagine playing out of tune in front of all those people?!? Yeah, I was crapping it a little bit to say the least! At least I’m not pushing the MP in too far anymore 🙂
              Really encouraging to see everyone progress so well, great benefit of the blog for sure 🙂

Kevin
              Participant

Lizzy, I hope I speak for more than myself thanking you for your upload. There are periods where there are just a few of the same folks (not saying it’s a bad thing…) doing uploads, and it brings new blood into the mix to have someone else join in. Well played! This may be my own perception that other’s might not share, but you are using the “scoop” embellishment on perhaps more notes than not, and for me that tends to make the overall intonation sound “pitchy”. Hitting the majority of the notes solidly in tune and using the scoop more sparingly where it stands out would be my humble critique. Hats off to you for jumping into the “deep end” …lol

William Cingolani
                Participant

You are Sounding great Lizzy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.