Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Little help with bending and glissando

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Pefti
    Participant

Guys,
      I’m trying to understand nitty-gritty details and differences between bending and glissando, namely techniques in playing them and their notation. I assume this one is glissando:
      https://file.io/TESaEr
      And this one is pure bending, correct ?
      https://file.io/F8xaYH
      Can someone refer me to good examples where they are played on a sax?

Pete
      Participant

Hi Eugene
        Johnny is on youtube demonstrating glissando

Pete
        Participant

Eugene
          Bending a note is just practice starting on
          a note at right pitch then slightly lower jaw
          to lower pitch then back up to right pitch,
          hope this helps.

Andrew Gibson
          Participant

I’ve found you can accentuate the bend by slowing opening or closing the key at the same time.

Eugene Pefti
            Participant

Ok, then. I think I’m more or less capable of bending a sound but slowing opening/closing the key is a totally new concept to me, thanks Andrew!
              What about the second notation. Is it really a glissando ? How is it played in that particular notation ?

john
              Keymaster

Eugene unfortunately your linked files are not opening for me as I am traveling and only have my phone
                But I think the responses regarding bending are quite good and clear although I personally don’t incorporate the opening of any keys
                As for glissando fall-offs I did a video lesson specifically on this so just look in my YouTube channel or it might be in the blog section here on the site as well

Johnny

Eugene Pefti
                Participant

Hello guys,
                  I dared to resurrect this topic after watching Johnny’s glissando lesson. Well, practice makes improvement and I’m slowly doing this improvement lacking something fundamental.
                  I kindly ask members of the forum to share your habits and experience on what fingering you use to do glissando. For now there are two notes that are killing me.
                  What fingering do you use to play B(flat) for example? I’m trying to use a combination of B and F or F(sharp) mostly but when I accelerate to make a very smooth glide over all keys it doesn’t work. Using two keys for A and side B(flat) also works but not during the fast pace. I’m desperate 😉
                  Second note is low B or rather a change from low C(sharp) to low B. I’m following Johnny’s advice to have a full glissando by finishing the chromatic scale and stumble upon clumsily moving my left pinky. How does it work for you guys?

Eugene

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.