Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces LIGATURES

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Talking about Winslows, I’m really excited to get mine. I ordered them a few weeks ago in mid March and talked to him over the phone this past week just to touch base see how things are going. He’s making 3 of them for me (Tenor, Alto & Soprano) and will be getting them out to me here soon. He had a few other orders besides mine that he was working on too, no worries. I became a believer in the Winslows after getting to try one for myself. I’ve been using the Francois Louis ligature every since I played the “Amazon” Guardala, never used another ligature after getting to try one for myself…but the Winslows are better. I noticed right away how the reed vibrated even more freely with a much more open sound. The Francois Louis Ligatures are good though…sorry to hear about what to Dazza 🙁 It may have been defective, but I’ve never had troubles with them. Lots of players use them and love them too. Everyone has a different take on whether ligatures makes a difference or not; but if someone asked me that question, I would have to say yes they do and it can be a great/inexpensive upgrade to get more out of our reeds/MP were using. Here’s a video that a youtube friend of mine, Projectsax, made on ligatures making/not making a difference. We connected about 3 weeks ago, really nice guy–we subscribed to each other’s channels 🙂 He did some cool reviews on different model of Saxophones, reeds, etc.. These are his own personal thoughts/insights on the matter of ligatures.

Anonymous

the current lig i use is this one

http://store.theowanne.com/products/enlightened-ligature

its works fine, the only problem is any miss-alignment with the reed on the rails and the pitch becomes distorted on some notes.

William Cingolani
        Participant

On my MB11 mouthpiece right now I’m using this JodyJazz Rico H-ligature. http://jodyjazz.com/product/rico-h-ligature-and-cap/ . My Winslow big is too large for the MB11. I have a few rovners but I prefer this Rico H-ligature and I do get the suck pop on the reed.

William Cingolani
          Participant

I do like the ligature that comes with the MB 11 mouthpiece. It resembles the rovner but very thin and sounds good.

Michael you sound good. I’ll call John Winslow to make me a Winslow lig. for my MB11. I assume it will fit the fatboy also

Michael Bishop
            Participant

@ William: Do you know if there’s any differences in diameter/size between the MBII and the MB Fatboy model? John Winslow told me over the phone that for some MPs he requested the player take the measurement of their MP and make a paper “ring” of the diameter of the MP, then send it to him. I think our member Paddy told me he had to do that. When I talked to John Winslow, I told him what I needed and he said he was good to go, had done many Winslows for the model/size of MPs I’m playing. The good news is that the diameter of the Vandoren MPs is the same as Claude Lakeys, so he told me the Winslows I ordered will work for both MPs, the diameter between the 2 models are the same.

William Cingolani
              Participant

Michael: I did the paper ring thing when I bought my Winslow lig for my Theo Wanne mpc. The theo wanna guia mic is a lot larger than the MB11. Johnny would probably know the size of the MB11 and the fatboy. Probably the same. I like the lig that comes with the Guardala MB11 and I like the rico H Lig. Four corners of the H lig press down on the reed.

RRafael
                Participant

Just wondering if anybody has gotten a Winslow lig for the fatboy yet.? and if so what is the cost of it? I am not impressed with the lig that came with the mouthpiece. I’m having a terrible time getting it in place and adjusted. It also feels like it is not applying even pressure to my reeds and is pinching them. I find that in an hour of playing I will adjust it maybe 3 to 4 different times. It’s just not comfortable.

john
                  Keymaster

yes the winslow will fit on your fatboy, I’ve used it myself.
                    how are you putting the DG lig on your mp?
                    are you putting the thumb screw on top or on the bottom under the reed?

RRafael
                    Participant

Hey Johnny. I have tried the lig both ways and find it’s best when the screw is on the top of the MP but then I can hardly get it slid down over the reed without it moving the reed and it is so tight when it is in place that I can’t slide my reed back into place.

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.