Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces LIGATURES

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hey Wayne,
      Lots of pro players from years ago that were talking about were using Winslow Ligatures, it is kind of “tech” ligature with lots of rubber pins and lets the reed vibrate like crazy. Johnny uses one on his Guardala, I think he’s had it for like 25 years or so? Berg Larsen MPs and Otto Links were also very popular in those days and they still are. But then again, there’s lots of players that just standard ligatures and did really well too. There’s nothing ‘tech’ about having a good ligature, but you can be absolutely sure that a good ligature WILL let the reed vibrate more. Check out this video of Johnny and his friend Wayne in the studio talking about MPs…notice what they say about a good ligature.

james moscoso
      Participant

Hi Jake I tried one of the Bois ligs and I didn’t like it the reed moved around on me so I returned it let me know if you already bought one how it works for you

Dazza
        Participant

I bought the Francois Lois lig recently but didn’t like it all. It was difficult to get it in position and the reed easily moved about no matter how tight I wound it up. The lig that came with the MBII is simple and effective. Gives good even pressure on the reed and is easy to fit.

Michael Bishop
          Participant

Johnny said he was getting good results with the ligatures that come with new Guardalas too…it’s about time a good MP maker includes a decent ligature when you buy their MP! 🙂 You know how that goes, most companies just include a junk-type of ligature with their MP. That’s weird about the problems you’ve had with the Francois Louis ligature Dazza, sorry to hear about that. I wonder if maybe it was somewhat defective in some way? I’ve never had problems with them, holds the reed on really nice, great reed vibration. It holds so well that if I continue to tighten up on the ligature that it will actually press/cut slightly into the reed.

john
            Keymaster

It just so happened to me that as I received my new Guardala’s my Winslow lig started to give up because those 4 little cusions that held the reed, 2 of them were so worn I took the off and just used the remaining two down the middle and this has not been working very well so I just started using the ones that came with the Guardalas and I haven’t even though about it much. Is there a better lig out there for these mp’s? Probably, but I just haven’t gotten around to experiment. I was going to try that one you mentioned Dazza and most likely will but just getting along fine with these at least for now.

Anonymous

when i bought my guardala king last year, i thought the lig was crap and swapped it for a leather rovner which worked far better

Anonymous
                  Anonymous

on my rovner, i removed the little metal logo’s from the side of the ligature – sometimes i think manufacturers can be complete idiots when they design products – i mean why would you want a little metal logo plate at the side of a lig – that must affect it in some way??

john
                    Keymaster

I don’t think you got one of Nadir’s MP’s ( I could be wrong) but
                      his lig’s are more comparable to those Rovners if not better.
                      Most smart manufacturers will want to increase their brand awareness so there’s your logo, not sure if that would effect it’s performance tho.
                      Rovners are the intermediate go-to…better than the junk that comes with a standard mp but not as good as some of the more specialized ones like Winslow etc.

Anonymous

I bought my nadir mouthpiece through sax.co.uk 2 years ago (i don’t know why i said last year), and haven’t played it for 16 months.

Sadly to say the lig i got with mine kept slipping, he might be shipping with better ligs now, or i could just have got a defective one at that time.

Curiously, i got the guardella mouthpiece out today, and was surprised how much easier the altissimo notes are, and was hitting some of the 8th, 9th overtones. On the altisimmo G i was jumping several overtones higher up. The low Bb needed a lot more air to hit it, and was coming out very loud – the only problem with that, i couldn’t hit a soft low Bb.

Sadly the mouth piece is way too loud for me, its very difficult to play it softly, so its not suitable for classical stuff. But i will move over to it at some stage.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 29 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.