Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Share a Video Leo P

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    jak Swift
    Participant

Sxpoet , it’s 8.00am and I wake to this palaver…. LOL !!☺ Bro C is correct , an original avatar…
      It is indeed….ahem …original …

jak Swift
      Participant

I suggest you spend the day deciding as to whether you Wang that Image forever linked with the great name Sxpoet !! Hmmm….coffee !!☺☺

jak Swift
        Participant

Or indeed whether you ” WANT “….
          Sxpoet…my day is just begun and already in turmoil…☺
          Later folks, have a safe & happy one …

Anonymous

Hi Jak, I like to know what people are discussing so I added the U-tube clips. I’ve learnt a lot from Mel’s videos, and I have two of Boney James CD’s on their way. I wish I could find a copy of ‘Sweet Thing’ but that will have to wait for another day. My collection of sax players is growing and it’s interesting to listen to how different the tone and playing style can be from one player to another. The guys from the early days didn’t have the benefit of modern mic’s and gimmicks – LOL.

I found a suitable plastic tube for storing my reeds. It’s a Berocca (15 effervescent tablet) tube. I pushed 5cm of sponge into the base, poured in some Listerine and have had my two playing reeds in there for a few days already. I have practiced once with this new method of reed storage and the reed did perform much better than dry storage. The reeds are moist without being waterlogged. Being in their plastic holders, they don’t come into direct contact with the damp sponge. They also smell fresher too, so I give this idea a thumbs up. Cheers

Anonymous

Hey sxpoet, where’s the sax playing Panther? Don’t let Leo P put you off. The panther made a great avatar as everyone knows the Pink Panther tune.

jak Swift
              Participant

Good morning Jeff !!
                Of course, listening to any player you can is the way to go. It wouldn’t do for us all to be into the same thing….My comment on Leo was part tongue in cheek.
                As for Kenny G…aside from the supreme hairdo and his family owning half of ” Starbucks “…he is actually an amazing player. Saw a clip of him playing tenorsax at Montreux many years back. He absolutely slayed it !!
                Glad youve got your reed problems sorted man; sounds like a plan. If you ever get a chance ( anytime ), check out ” Bari ” reeds. I’d say they are the original synthetic, but a chunk of fibre glass is more accurate….
                Have a good day man and keep posting the clips…
                Any sax is better than no sax…( check spellcheck )
                Later….

jak Swift
                Participant

Just a thought Jeff, but perhaps the lack of modern ” gimmicks ” made them concentrate on the important stuff….the playing..😉

jak Swift
                  Participant

Now, Sxpoet…. Your a serious musician, take yourself somewhere quiet and reflect on this foolery….☺😉

jak Swift
                    Participant

All in good humour folks !!

Anonymous

Hi Jak, yes Kenny G is a great sax player. If anyone has doubts about this, check out his sheet music.
                        Playing his tunes with proper pitch and timing will take quite a bit of study and playing practice.

In these days of poor quality music, I’ll listen to any musician who writes music and plays an instrument well.
                        I was stunned to hear an interview with Brian Eno on BBC, where he admitted to not being able to read music!

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 59 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.