Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Daily Practice Routine #1 Jazz lab Silencer

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Frank Scott
    Participant

Has anyone tried the jazz lab sax silencer to help strengthen the embouchure and build up the muscles needed to get a good sound out of your sax? I hear it is suppose to work nicely and reduce noise so as not to disturb your neighbors or people in your home.

john
      Keymaster

Heard about it but not tried it. I don’t think the product will give you an advantage over simply doing the exercises on your mp, but it can be useful for doing them a lot quieter if noise is a problem in an apartment.

Marc
        Participant

I’m seriously planning on getting one of those. Some days I haven’t enough time to a serious practice on the horn, and I think a 5-10 minutes practice with the MP only would help a lot in not losing embouchure/breathing training.

john
          Keymaster

Yes Marc, that exercise has huge benefits, thats why it’s #1 in my Daily Practice Routine. Also one that many players overlook and even avoid…

Anonymous

i still do the mouthpiece only execise – the great thing about it is if my reed isn’t in the right position, i can tell straight away, as certain notes don’t sound clearly.

After the mouthpiece only exercise, i do a mouthpiece + neck only exercises, and for these i practice various conting exercises with a metronome at 116bpm

Joseph Bernardi
              Participant

If you buy it from Amazon, you’ll save $69,333.01.

Jazz Lab Silencer

john
                Keymaster

oh ya, what a deal they got there!

Anonymous

@Frank – cool, just what i need for when i go on holiday for a few weeks.

Frank Scott
                    Participant

I can tell you one thing sxpoet it really does reduce the sound. Believe me I did not buy it from Amazon because their price was $69. The price Joseph had seen was one of those eight ball price things I have seen on Amazon before which is a fluke for sure. I bought mine on Ebay from youngmusicshop out of Minnesotta for $49.95 with free shipping and it very fast shipping. My wife really likes it because it does reduce the high volume sound of just the mouthpiece and I am able to use a chromatic tuner to watch the variation and also see the pitch notation of the sound. I like it because it also saves me from having to put in ear plugs while practicing on the mouthpiece exercises.

Anonymous

Thanks Frank – good sound information based on the experience of someone who has used said device first hand.

I definitely need to get one, as the wife says “you will not be bringing your sax on any holiday! get a life! i’m not having you become one of those sad individuals that has to drag a sax around with you where ever you go! You’re not playing sax for a living! … bla bla bla bla … ….zzzzz

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.