Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Jazz Articulation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jim Srnick
    Participant

Johnny,

The site looks great!!

I have a question. Have you’ve ever done a course or video on articulation. Particularly jazz type articulation.

I understand the “tongue a note slur the next” thing but it still doesn’t sound like when I hear jazz players or Tower of Power horns for example.

What is the technique to get that professional articulation where even a B flat major scale sounds interesting?

Thanks,
      Jim

john
      Keymaster

well, there’s no one technique I can think of to give you such an answer. it’s articulation and personal phrasing, just like a singer would do.
        To give a detailed lesson I would need to think about this but when you articulate on a saxophone you have 2 choices as to how you play a note; with your tongue or without. There are various degrees of each but that is the big picture. Other things will come into play such as dynamics.

Jim Srnick
        Participant

Johnny, Thanks for the quick reply. It’s hard to have an email conversation about sound. The really cool articulation I’m reaching for is the “duuudaduuudaduuuda” sound (if that makes any sense at all). As I said the tongue a note slur the next is somewhat fine for me but to me it sounds as if the players are using loud and soft as well. I can see this technique in a slow ballad but how ever is this done in fast runs you’d hear with say TOP? Sounds so professional.

Jim

john
          Keymaster

have you found any such lessons online?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.