Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces interesting talk on high baffles

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

don’t forget Kenny G

Lewis Pelham
      Participant

Agreed.
        It is said that saxophones are not used in orchestras because the instrument sounds like the player….rather than the instrument itself.

john
        Keymaster

ha, that’s the reason I love it! believe me, most classic people aren’t big sax fans… I studied at a big university and majored in saxophone. There were 3 others and we formed a quartet which was a ball. but the reality is that most of the classical music from the great masters was written long before the saxophone was invented so of course it wasn’t included in the original scores. I have some classical sax albums and as big of a sax fan that I am, listening to the tone of a classically trained saxophonist is not my favorite sax sound.

Anonymous

lol – that is so funny!

When i was around 8 years old i was always surrounded by classical music – my parents thought any other music was just repetitive trashy devils music, their oppinions which i respect.

I can always remember when i listened to the classical music i could never distinguish between some of the wind instruments at that age, and i always remember that one sound that stood out on its own and was very beautiful to hear – now i realise that sound was made by a saxaphone ! I only realised that when i played some classical pieces,

To me that was like someone who had been deaf all their life suddenly heard for the first time.
            I just stood there and thought – i cant believe this ! all these years and this is the instrument that was making that sound!

the sax is an incredible instrument capable of taking on a wide variety sounds in the sense that you can make it sound close to a lot of other wind instruments. I’ve actually seen & listened to someone make it sound nearly like a violin.

Steve S
            Participant

I’ve listened to my voice when recorded and I have a extreme nasal sound that projects when I speak. I can’t sing, I really sound awful. Is there a baffle height that might take my nasal saxophone voice away? In other words has saxophone science come so far baffle-wise to eliminate nasal speaking through the Saxophone? Tuff question I know, so maybe a different approach if I’ve stumped the stars, which baffle would disguise a nasal sounding projection more, a high or low baffle? Yes, I’m self conscious about the way I sound when I speak, after reading the posts here I seem to think now that the nasal sound would somehow project through the instrument.
              Steve

john
              Keymaster

that’s an interesting concept Steve but I really doubt that your nasal voice sound can translate into your sax sound. do you think you have a nasal sound on your sax? if so start experimenting with mp’s and reeds. you need to record yourself though.

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.