Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Inquiry into Claude Lakey Mouthpiece, I was given this modified MP of sorts.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

😎 Hey Johnny,

When I recently uploaded “Take Five” I was using the mouthpiece pictured below that the guys who were looking for a Sax player gave to me; they said the last Sax player they had, who moved away, had used it but didn’t have much information about it specifically. There’s no logo or anything on it other than the size, so this makes me think that it’s possibly a modified MP of sorts. From looking at the pics here, do you have any idea what kind of MP this could be? They were cool enough to just give it to me, really nice guys 🙂 I tried it with the Take Five upload and some other stuff, haven’t really liked it–feels kind of “rough” to me. I did attend one of their practices to check them out and they play some pretty cool stuff to say the least. Down-right Southern Blues style of music, drums, piano player, guitar player and an added bonus of the harmonica. I told them I want another year or so underneath my belt and have the ability to be able to play, at will, the Altissimo range. I think 1 year is a good goal, that would be 2 years of learning to play the Saxophone.

When I went to Amazon to check out the Claude Lakey MPs that you talked about in the Trevor James Sax review (it is coming soon! The present alto I have needs servicing really bad, palm keys and bis keys sticking; have to wiggle them loose before a practice session), they didn’t give much in the way of “description” so I was wondering what model of Claude Lakey Mp you were using, what type of tip opening, chamber, etc.. I am also checking out the Vandoreen line of Mouthpieces. I wanted to approach the MP I pair up with the Alto like I did with the Guardala Studio for Tenor; because the Studio Model has a medium chamber and is just right for me. The Java 2.5 has been absolutely perfect with this Mouthpiece!

[img]https://howtoplaysaxophone.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/zu769-DSC01280.JPG[/img]
      [img]https://howtoplaysaxophone.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/72kbe-DSC01281.JPG[/img]
      [img]https://howtoplaysaxophone.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/hww7b-DSC01282.JPG[/img]

john
      Keymaster

No idea, you might send it along to Massulo Music cause those guys see a lot more of these things than me.
        Looks like a nice one though.

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Good idea–could the Claude Lakey MP be up my alley or is it one for advanced players? An example: The Guardala Studio with it’s medium chamber is right up my alley, but anything more than this, like a MBII, and I think it would have been difficult to play.

john
          Keymaster

Claude Lakey is great. I think that’s one I tested on that post with the Trevor James sax and I loved it on the alto anyway.

Michael Bishop
            Participant

It sure sounded great, big bright tone with some edge in it and really necessary for a song like Baker Street and Careless Whisper. Do you remember what model of Claude Lakey MP you were using or would the folks at Massulo have that? I am working on your Baker Street, the sheet music/backing track that the band director Mr.Baker (LOL same name, guess that’s why he loves it) gave me was in the key of D, meaning B for Alto Sax, which is fine. But in actuality, what you did is great because for the Alto I will be playing it in the Key of C, a very “friendly” key of us Saxophone students 🙂 That was a very smart and considerate thing to do because it makes it easier for student sax players like us to learn, play for their family/friends and have fun playing it. I’ve heard different songs played in different keys, and sometimes playing a great song in a different key can make it even better!

Also, in my sax solo of Take Five I think had just a little bit too many licks, which to me is kind of like a singer singing without taking a breath or a break and she/he can’t really scoop things, pause for breaks, etc.. It’s a work in progress, but I’m revising it a little to be able to emphasize/scoop-and-hold more of the Bb, Eb, and F and allow for more of the rests. I actually called it “my” sax solo! That much I AM happy about.

Anonymous

Well. I took the Plunge and bought a older (Vintage??) Claude Lakey Mouthpiece from the mid 1970’s that the seller said was hand made by the owner???? it is a 4*3* Waiting for it to come to me to try. I will let you know how it goes and to try to get a ligature and look at Reeds for it? Vinny

john
                Keymaster

Great choice vinny!
                  I really liked the Cluade Lakey on the alto.

Anonymous

Thank you. Its hard to figure if you are making a good choice when all you have to rely on is online? That makes me feel good about my purchase. Thank you again.

john
                    Keymaster

I know vinny, that’s why when I do have personal experience with something I like to share. Of course there are so many things available these days it’s impossible for anyone to try even a large portion of them. Still, I know what works for one person doesn’t always work for another but at least you do get a recommendation from someone that has some experience in these things and that’s better than going in totally blind.

Anonymous

I totally agree. And if it does not work now it can possibly work later. Maybe the older claude lakey’s are better than the newer ones, I don’t know. It might be too powerful of z mouthpiece for me right now, but I will let you know, thanks so much for everything you do. Vinny

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.