Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire Improvising in "The Pink Panther" solo/source of my sheet music

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hi Johnny,
      Now that the move to our new house is complete (regular video to resume from me shortly) I can finally go back and finish “The Pink Panther” on Tenor Sax. You may recall like 8 months or so ago I did the song, but there were some problems in Sheet Music that I was given for the solo, so I’m of the thought just to go ahead and create my own solo, the video below was the source of my sheet music. Seeing how it’s played over a Major Scale, in this type of Improvising could I go ahead and just dominant scales/chords in my Improvising, along with some jazz-type Bebop articulation, correct? The only thing I was wondering about was my new Instructor told me in our last lesson that in Jazz Improvising we primarily use dominant chords/scales to Improvise with over the Fifth, unlike Blues where we can use the Blues Scale over the entire 1-4-5 chord progression. I’m not sure if the Diminished chords/scales that he has me working on has a place in this song, so I will probably hold off on using those scales until I know them inside-and-out…Diminished Chords/Scales are totally different than anything I’ve learned up to this point. He has made it know what Diminished Chords/Scales is something he’s going to have me focus on almost all year along, goes way beyond Major/minor scale theory. If it’s worth your time, it would be cool to think about making a release available from you to buy Johnny of this song..one of the most popular Sax songs of all time.

Anonymous

u mite find this vid useful

Anonymous

you could also add another sax to your collection and play the pink panther like in this vid – jst kidding

Michael Bishop
          Participant

thanks for the videos Sxpoet…man, that Sax is a beast! Very Cool 🙂 That video of the fellow above with the hat is of the main melody in F# Major/blue scale. What I’m working on is in A Major–but the principles still apply as long as we know our scales inside-and-out. It’s very easy to transpose from one scale to the next as long as we know our scales. What I was checking out what creating an Improvised solo in the middle of the song, the main melody is a pretty simple. Looking at the sheet music that was given to me by the fellow above (I posted his video) Johnny had brought out there were a few questionable notes in his own Improvised solo that I played last time. So I had the thought of creating my own solo. The Blues Scales could most definately help for a few licks/riffs, but I don’t want to base my entire solo, for the middle of the song, strictly on the Blues Scale. We can use a wide array of things like Pentatonic Scales, Modes, Chords, Blues Scale, etc. to really make our Improvising sound colorful/fun.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.