Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Improvisation Impov Course comments/Questions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Lee Dove
    Participant

Hi,
      I got the course and have a couple of comments on a first skim through the 1-4 vids.

1. When going over the chords of the major C you use all sorts of notes not just the C Major notes. I am not sure what is happening but it is a bit confusing, you may at this point not be talking about C but G or F but it is not clear.

2. When you talk about the 5 chord you use bar numbers that don’t match your chart. This is because you ignore the intro in your comments but it is numbered on the chart. .
      Lee

john
      Keymaster

1. Lee, which notes of the C major scale are you referring to?
        2. the 5 chord happens on bars 9 and 12 on every chorus as it does in any 12 bar blues-type of song. It does not happen on bar 9 of the intro chorus, just bar 12 there.

If you count those bar numbers from the chart you will see they match. So start counting after the 1st 12 bars which is the intro.
        Also, have a look at the bar numbers on the left of the staff lines, these are all correct as well.
        Also I end each 12 bar section with a double bar line so if you count from the very beginning you will notice a double bar line after each 12 bar section. They’re not bold but you can always make them more so for an easier visual.

Hope this makes it clearer now but let me know if somethings still not clear I don’t want any confusion there for anyone!

Lee Dove
        Participant

Thanks,

1. I was looking at you playing the in the 5 chord video and realise you are playing the other chords as well.

2. Numbering made sense to me after I studied it but the chart numbering and the 12 bar numbering you use in the video make it confusing I think. Just my 2c worth.

Are you going to do a video on the Solo analysis which you mention at the start of the solo video ? Without this I think the main objective of the course is missed. You set the groundwork and then just jump into a “look at me solo” section and to be honest we all know you can solo 🙂 You have no info on using rhythmic patterns that match, any timing info or a structure to build solo/imrov from a basic level so I feel that you start the journey and then jump off and leave me standing alone.

The course seems to start well (basic theory) and then has a well lets get it done (part 2) and out there asap feel to it. I must say I am disappointed.

john
          Keymaster

1. Playing the other chords on the 5 chord? In the video when I play the 5 chord I don’t play the other chords. I don’t understand how you see that. Please explain the confusion here so I can try to explain.

yes I will be doing additional videos. this is why I put up this forum, to understand students problems etc. I want to gather everyone’s comments to know where any difficulties lie. I am here to help you and so to do that I must know how I can do that.
            Thanks for your comments.
            Johnny

Lee Dove
            Participant

Hi,
              Glad to hear more vids to come.

On the 5 chord thing . I think it is just trying to listen to your comments, the playing and watch your fingers all gets a bit to much 😉 I think you need to slow it down once through and then do it again at normal speed for the slow of understanding.

Remember “you” understand all this and it comes natural now , the students don’t .

john
              Keymaster

Lee, I appreciate your comments and am encouraging others to do the same eventually to see where the gaps are and fill those as needed. Videos take time to make and so I need to gather much more information before doing this. But that’s why I put up this forum, so everyone can learn and move forward so hang in there!
                As for the 5 chord thing, since I can’t slow the video down, you’ll need to watch it a few more times. This is normal but that’s the great thing about videos. The most important thing is to get familiar with the music. Meaning, get to feel comfortable with this 12 bar progression. When we can eventually “feel it” we just know when that 5 chord comes. The 12 bar thing is one of the most common in music. Follow along with the music chart over and over, listening to the instruments…zero in on the bass and chords for the changes. As soloists we need to be there too in order to make those changes happen correctly. This takes time: to learn the exercises and eventually play them from memory, in time to the music. Keep at it, it will feel different in a few days from now.

William Cingolani
                Participant

I started the course with my tenor today after a bit of researching through my Aebersold basic jazz books. No problems here. Only issue I have is with timing. I do find all the comments interesting and educational. I see the intro to be 16 bars and after that the 12 bars start. I just played the G scale up and down back and forth mixed with the A m7th, A dorian, D7 Mixolydian and G major.

john
                  Keymaster

yes 16 bar intro because of the 4 bar pre-intro.
                    you’re starting off well with those. next work on matching up the modes with the chordal notes as in the lesson 3 video.

William Cingolani
                    Participant

Correction correction: I see the introduction to be four measures not 16. I didn’t notice the double lines until I began to make them darker. And after the introduction the 12 bar sequence starts beginning with an A minor 7th at the beginning of each 12 bar sequence.

William Cingolani
                      Participant

Correction to my correction. I didn’t see your note about the 4 bar pre-intro. I’ll stay with the 16 bar intro with the 4 bar pre-intro. Now we’re on the same page

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.