Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds I:m Only A Week Old, But……

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Steve CA
    Participant

In truth, not EVEN a “week old” on the Saxophone, if I am to be technically correct. Saturday will be “one week” since I’ve had the Tenor Saxophone in my hands.

That said, and the many times I have stated how raw and ignorant I am on or about the Saxophone, I have observed a few things that are worth noting (realizing that this particular section of the Forum is about “Reeds.”)

A. Reeds are expensive
      B. Reeds are different, but the same
      C. I like the little plastic holders that each individual Reed comes in (Rico)
      D. When I used a “new” (my second one, in 3 days) Reed, the “new” Reed was more responsive
      E. I STILL can’t get my mouthpiece/reed combination to “Pop” when I attempt to suck the air out.

Examples of my rookie status:

A. More than once, I have whacked myself in the mouth with the pivoting Saxophone
      B. C Major is easy, it’s the technique that’s hard (air/sound quality/finger placement repeatability)
      C. The Jack Russel Terrier runs and hides when I play
      D. I’m running on extra credits with the wife’s patience
      E. My neighbors probably think I have bought Geese.
      F. I need to finally put away the cigs (6 cigs a day) and strengthen my lungs
      G. Pinky fingers have a LOT to DO on a Saxophone (good thing I have strong ones, from playing piano and guitar!!)
      H. Forum suggestion: kill the “wait five minutes between postings” requirement. Make it two minutes. If I have to edit, it’s
      a shame that we have to wait sooooo long to re-submit.

Sorry …………I digress…………..Reeds……………ummmmmmmmmmmmm

-Soupy

john
      Keymaster

getting them to pop means you have a good seal with the mouthpiece. keep trying, if none ever pop you may have an uneven mouthpiece.
        follow the lesson on this next link, it will help you in a few of your other problems, practice your C major fingering technique and not make a sound for the wife:

Fingering #1 (Part 2)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.