Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Share a Video Illinois Jacquet "Flying Home"

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

I love Illinois Jacquet playing. I love the solo in this song, great R&B solo on Tenor Sax. Very cool how he used lots of ‘1 note licks/riffs’ in his solos 🙂

Mel
      Participant

Great song Michael! I like Jacquet a lot!

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Illinois Jacquet put out some great, great stuff for sure. I love listening to these guys and try to pick up on the things they do/use that in our own playing. Illinois Jacquet used lots of those 1 note riffs/licks, goes to show that solos don’t have to be complicated to sound great! Big Jay Mcneely used a lot of 1 note licks/riffs too. I was watching an interview of Big Jay on youtube (pasted it below) and he was talking about how he loved listening to players like Sonny Stitt, Coleman Hawkins, etc. I’m guessing Big Jay got his inspiration for those 1 note licks/riffs from players like Illinois Jacquet, but not sure on that, but just goes to show how even legendary Sax players like Big Jay had their own players who they loved to listen to, learned from them, etc.. Big Jay brings out lots of good points in this interview.

john
          Keymaster

most definately 2 of the biggest names from the early R&B scene.
            Jacquet was a big influence on King Curtis.

Michael Bishop
            Participant

I remember reading something along those lines about King Curtis too. I listen to King Curtis all the time and there are songs of his that definately have an Illinois Jacquet type of style to them. I just wish I could have seen those guys live in Concert. About a year ago I spoke to an older gentlemen here whose a guitar player and we were talking about Blues/Music. I told him who the players were that I liked to listen to the most and he said he saw King Curtis live in Memphis years ago. I asked how was it and he told me that King Curtis had the best Rock and Roll/Blues sound on the Sax that he had ever heard and that he was even better to hear live v.s. a recorded session! That’s pretty amazing 🙂

brother cavefish
              Participant

that hat and jacket, sweet brother sweet

jak Swift
                Participant

Jaquet gets a mention every time the Texas tenors come up. Illinois was the head honcho.
                  ” Flying Home ”
                  ” Hand Clappin “…Red Prysock.
                  Two tunes, a little daunting to say the least. I’d really like to suggest you guys take a look at the dots for both. Get these under your belt, your going places.
                  Yeah, Bro Cavefish, ole Illinois was one hep cat !!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.