Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself Hi from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Shawn Clarke
    Participant

Hi all my name is Shawn. I started playing tenor sax in grade 9 in both concert and jazz band. After highschool I played a bit but I let life get in the way and eventually had to sell my saxophones. Now in my 40’s and my daughter plays flute and alto sax I have been itching to get back into playing again. Yesterday I bought myself a Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series in the Iced Black-Nickel finish to kickstart the re-learning experience much to the delight of my daughter and wife. It’s funny that I can remember how to play the scales but I can’t read the music well at all. Perhaps it will come back to me once I spends some proper time practicing.

I am very excited to be back into the music world again. Over the next few months I wold like to find myself a better mouthpiece and ligature as I am just using the one that came by default with the saxophone however I hope to find something that will give me the sound that I am looking for without spending a small fortune. I’ll be reading through the forums here to see if there are any recommendations of where to start. From some of the reading I’ve done I think I want to try the Winslow ligature but am not sure about the mouthpiece yet.

Shawn

William Cingolani
      Participant

Hi Shawn,
        I like my Winslow ligiture. I’ve been through many mouthpieces. My favorite is the Michael Brecker Fatboy

Shawn Clarke
        Participant

Hi William,

It looks like the only way to get the Winslow ligature is to call John Winslow direct…is that what you did or is there somewhere online to find these. Also where did you source your Michael Brecker mouthpiece. I have heard lots of good things from people playing various Michael Brecker mouthpieces. Not sure I am ready to step up to that level of mouthpiece as I figure I just would not do it justice but something to aspire to maybe.

Shawn

Anonymous

Hi Shawn

Have a look at

Guardala Saxophone Mouthpieces

and

Guardala Saxophone Mouthpieces Review

You can order these directly from Johnny.

john
            Keymaster

A while back I did try to help John Winslow get his ligatures online since I am a big fan but he’s just not into it.
              he’s really old school…doesn’t even own a computer. this is fine but the problem he has is there are a few others out there that are taking advantage of this. At the time I told him there are some sites selling some of his ligs for 3-4 times what he sells them for. nothing he can do about it and he didn’t want my help so yes, the only way to get one is to phone him. (unless you don’t mind getting ripped off)

William Cingolani
              Participant

John Winslow

Madison Enterprises
                P.O.Box 8434
                Madison Wi. 53708-8434

Tel# (608) 241-1124

The Winslow ligature for my Fatboy cost $90 plus $10 for shipping

William

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.