Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself Hi from New Zealand

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Charlotte Stephens
    Participant

Hi everyone
      I’m Charlotte, a kiwi, and I am loving the video tips and ebook Johnny! I’ve been learning tenor sax for about eight months with a teacher, and am renting a Yamaha YTS 275. Would like to own my own someday and would be interested in people’s views of Yamaha versus P Mauriat instruments. Plus what kind of hard rubber mouthpiece to get (I’m told this can be a mine field!)

Cheers
      Charlotte

Marc
      Participant

Hey, welcome from the other side o’ the world (for you).
        After 8 months of constant playing with a teacher, you’ve surely developed a somewhat strong and confident embouchure so you should be able to pick a MP that fits your needs. Think about the reed as well, since thers’s a close relationship between those elements and it’s better to try them as a combo. Maybe the reed you’re currently playing on today is not the best for the MP you will choose.

Regards.
        Marc.

Thomas Crawford
        Participant

Hi Charlotte

It is a mine field.

I am having problems looking for a mpc too. People have advised me to go to a shop where they sell 2nd hand mpcs and try them with my sax and a range of different reed strengths and spend all day in there with a tuner. Unless you have perfect pitch, the tuner is essential as some sax/mpc/reed combinations are very difficult to play in tune – the physics of sound. If you do this, take some disinfectant ….

Jody Jazz seems to be popular.

Mel
          Participant

Hello Charlotte –

Welcome to a great Saxophone website! You have more playing time than I do. I just recently bought a Jody Jazz HR 5* Tenor mouthpiece. I put it on a step – up Selmer La Voix II.

I really am liking the set up. The mouthpiece gives me a nice full and warm sound but it also can lean towards the bright side. I consider it a great buy. My instructor tried the mouthpiece and he also thought it was a good mouthpiece.

Mel

john
            Keymaster

welcome Charlotte. both those brands are very good, (depending o the models of course)
              and will do you well for several years if not for ever!
              once you settle on one of those nice playing horns you can start your mp trek.
              most of us do a lot of searching and experimenting for the first few years
              because the mp can be the most important part of your entire setup (yes, even your saxophone).
              if you can, go into the largest store that has several mp’s that you can sit and try out.
              we all have opinions but the bottom line is what feels right for you.
              what mp are you playing now?
              have you tried the selmer S80 (C*)?

Thomas Crawford
              Participant

There is an article on choosing a mpc at:

http://www.stohrermusic.com/2011/11/how-to-choose-a-saxophone-mouthpiece/

It makes depressing reading. The manufacturers don’t seem to have quality control, which I find difficult to believe.
                At the foot of the page there are links to other mpc related stuff.

Anonymous

interesting article – full of definitions and oppinions, makes a good read. Problem i have with oppinions on mouthpieces, is i find it very difficult to find any proven scientific evidence to back them up, and the ones i have found, you need a degree to understand what they are saying, and makes for me a very boring read. Ignorance is bliss.

john
                  Keymaster

how can a novice know if their mp is imperfect?
                    buy one, play it for a while and if or when you get
                    the chance have a tech check it out and possible reface it.
                    not a big deal. I’ve never had to do it…yes ingnorance can be ok.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.