Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Share a Video Here's a Good One for you Johnny…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hey Johnny,
      Here would be a great one for you to consider to release 🙂 Anyone know whose playing the Tenor here?

wayne wojnarowski
      Participant

Bostic??

Marc Justiniano
        Participant

Michael, They played this song on the Wonderers movie.. That was a great movie.

wayne wojnarowski
          Participant

Don’t know why they gave him so much time to blow….

wayne wojnarowski
            Participant

The song is actually cool to play Mike, nice groove.

john
              Keymaster

ya Dion had a few good ones…it’s not Bostic cause he played alto, although the ballsiest alto tone of all time, so much so that first time I heard him I thought he was playing a tenor. But it was probably the Wrecking Crew (they played on almost everything) that cut those tracks and if it was then it’s a solid bet that the tenor player is either Steve Douglas or Plas Johnson.

Michael Bishop
                Participant

@ Johnny: I’m actually thinking about going with the Studio for a few reasons. When I had what I call the “watered-down” Amazon Guardala it was a Studio model; so even though it wasn’t a true, authentic Guardala like Nadir is obviously making (hope I spelled his name right), I still already have a feel for a Studio so it wouldn’t take me too long at all to get re-adjusted to it without it being too difficult. So for me with the Studio model, a demo isn’t really necessary because I already have an idea, first hand, of what it’s like…although it would be cool to get your take on it some time for sure. Also, because of some of the stuff I’m doing this year is in more intimate settings v.s. being on a big stage, my concern is using such a powerful Guardala that folks may say I’m just too loud LOL With the Studio, I would be able to have more control through the entire range of the Sax, including soft ballads. Although Nadir doesn’t have a Fatboy Studio for Tenor, I did notice on his site for the Studio he has the choice of either “Original” or “Hand Made Master Enhancement” I would be really interested in knowing what he did to enhance the Studio. The Master Enhancement cost a couple hundered $ more, but if it’s the best thing to do in the long run then paying the extra $ is worth it. Check out the link below to his site and click on the options of “hand work” to see what I mean. In his description he describes it as “The Middle” of the Guardalas; it’s above the Crescent models (the Crescent is too narrow/flat for me) but not the same as an MBII, etc. It as a tip opening of .116″, that’s just about perfect for me.
                  https://nadirsaxwind.com/shop/dave-guardala-reborn/the-studio/
                  On a side note, I do have a Vandoren Jumbo Java T95 for Tenor coming that I’m going to try out. The Alto A55 is awesome…it has a tip opening of .095″ that’s HUGE for Alto but combined with the comfort of an Ebonite MP it’s been great for me. These MPs are constructed with the same Big Step Baffle and big tip openings that we’re talking about to get that rockin’ sound, but they’re constructed of Ebonite; way superior to Hard Rubber but not quite like a Metal MP; but they do compare to many metal MPs in projection; but obviously they don’t compare to Guardalas. Based on my experience with the Alto Jumbo Java, I simply had to try to Tenor model so that I can make the best decision possible with long term in view.

Michael Bishop
                  Participant

@ Johnny: I was putting the above post because I thought I was responding in the topic of which Guardala you will buy, wasn’t paying attention and suddenly realized I was in the wrong topic category..ouch that hurts! You should probably delete the comment above LOL On a side note, I’m going to start learning “The Wanderer” soon, great stuff!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.