Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself Hello from Great Britain

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Khanthebrit
    Participant

Hello fellow Sax Players!

I looked at Johnny’s youtube videos every now and then and thought it would be useful to sign up to the site. I play a yanagisawa a991 alto saxophone and have passed my grade 8 exam for saxophone (which I found boring) and have recently found a love for improvisation, R&B, Rock N roll etc. My ears have been exposed and while I can read charts, I really want to start going into music like this and improvising/working out tunes using my ear rather than reading what’s given to me.

If anyone has any useful resources that could aid me in furthering the sort of playing I am interested in, that’d be great. I signed up and am still navigating my way around the website.

Michael Bishop
      Participant

Hi Khanthebrit,
        Wow, grade 8 exam. That’s awesome to say the least, very cool 🙂 Can’t say I blame you for catching on to Improvising with Blues/Rock..and rest assured, if that’s what you’re after….you’ve come to the right place 🙂 Would love to see a video of your playing sometime–check out the part of the Forum of “Member’s Videos” where Johnny let’s us post videos of our playing. We get great feedback from him and it’s very encouraging to see other members progressing too. If you’re looking to get into Blues/Rock, then check out his course of “How to play Killer Blues and Rockin’ Sax Solos”. Also on the home page, scroll down to the bottom and look up “Improvisation” Under the free lessons–he shows us how to use Pentatonics in the Blues. You can also check out his new Major Scale course–he teaches how to use Modes in the various chord progression of a song that’s in a Major Scale–it will work for any song/style you can think of. If you’re a Grade 8 Sax player, did you ever learn to play Altissimo? He has a full course on playing in the Altissimo range, all the way up into the 5th Octave range 🙂 You can find the Killer Blues ebook, Major Scale Course and Altissimo course under the link for “Courses” at the top of the home page. He’s also got great Sax Covers to learn, comes complete with sheet music and awesome backing tracks—as a Grade 8 player, all of this should be good enough for you to sink your teeth in….Cool that you’re here now! 🙂

jak Swift
        Participant

Hi Khan. You echo my sentiments entirely. I have known of JF for years. Finding out he had a site; at last R&R online. Where are you man ? I’m in Liverpool. Always good to meet new people, possibly get together for a blow !! Best. Jak

Mel
          Participant

Welcome Khan!

Mel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.