Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself Hello from Colorado

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    geoff scott
    Participant

Hi there. I’m in NW Colorado at 8200′ elevation. The air is thin here but I’m starting out a stone cold beginner on Baritone anyway. I’m playing a new Taishan Winds bari that didn’t break the bank but I think it’s sure more than adequate for at least my level. So far I’m really diggin it. I guess I’ve wanted to do this for a long long time. I did play clarinet for a short while in elementary school a hundred years ago but I’m surprisingly familiar with a reed and fell right into blowing on it.
      After studying jazz on guitar for decades on & off I’ve found I have an allergy to practising modes. I’m using Johnny’s books to get me acclimated (thanks much Johnny)and then plan on a couple of approaches I’ve learned on guitar that don’t involve running a lot of scales. One of my faves is Garrison Fewell’s “Improvisation, A Melodic Approach”. Here’s a very condensed example: Take a Gmin arpeggio. Now build a major triad off the 7th degree too. Now you’ve got a Gmin with the extensions. Also if you play a triad off each step in the arp alternating min, Maj, min all the notes will fit and you have a palate full of colours that all fit. So if you make a pattern of triads : Gmin > BbMaj > Dmin > FMaj you’ve got a bunch of places to go in Gmin (which goes beautifully over a C7). Well sorry for the long explanation but I get excited by these new revelations. Nice to meet all of you. I’m sure I’ll have a lot of questions!

Mel
      Participant

Hello Geoff- Welcome! I enjoyed skiing on your great Colorado mountains many years ago.

Mel

geoff scott
        Participant

Hi Mel, You can call me Scott. I use a pseudonym online that’s very close to my name. Had an issue in the past with someone googleing me & trolling all my posts. I’ll never understand women.
          I love these mountains and the long winters. I don’t ski though due to a blown out knee. Except cross country once in a while. The thing right in this area is snowmobiling but I’ve never been on one & probably never will.

jak Swift
          Participant

Welcome Scott !! This site is the best on the web. Nice intro….makes sense !! Bari is my primary horn but due to back problems its all tenor right now. Will be getting another bari in time, just have to use a ” jiffy “. Kind of clamp and stand in one. Look forward to watching your progression. Best…jak

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.