Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself Hello folks.

• This topic has 12 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by john.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Carl Robinson
    Participant

Hello from England, just started my journey on Saxophone and have been practicing for just over three weeks now and loving it.

Mel
      Participant

Welcome Carl! Great site to gain knowledge and get questions answered.

john
        Keymaster

hey Carl, so which type and brand do you have?

Dwight Price
          Participant

Hello My name is Dwight Price, I LIVE IN Cloverdale, Alabama

Carl Robinson
            Participant

I have a Trevor James classic II Tenor “The Horn”, I bought it off a lovely old lady who couldn’t handle it, it looked like a Bari on her. It was brand new with a case, lots of reeds and all the cleaning equipment! I am taking lessons off a reputable teacher and am having great fun. I’ve played guitar for over thirty years now and needed a new challenge, and have always wanted to learn the Saxophone but could never devote the serious time and effort it takes to learn a new instrument, luckily now I can.
              These are my thoughts after playing for about three weeks. One of the first exercises my teacher taught me was to learn how to blow consistently by using scale exercises as long tones. I found this really helpful because as a beginner you can easily blow a note, but getting that note to sound even and consistent is quite difficult. On a guitar I could show you how to sound a perfect note with very little effort, on a Saxophone you really earn that note! From another beginner to any other out there the best bit of advice would be to take things slowly and learn a few scales, then get playing with backing tracks etc to see how they work, it’s so much more fun. I wish I had sites like this when learning guitar all those years ago, and with regards to Saxophone the educational material Johhny puts out via youtube has been so helpful. You need to work on accuracy as a new Saxophonist, and for the first week or so the change from C-B went blap-blap-blap lol, it drove me nuts.

jak Swift
              Participant

Hey Carl, welcome to the ride of a lifetime man. You’ve come to the right place; follow Johnny’s courses and within a year, you’ll be boppin the blues !! Best…..jak

jak Swift
                Participant

Hey Dwight of Alabama…welcome and good luck to you also…. Best; jak

Carl Robinson
                  Participant

Thanks for the welcome folks

john
                    Keymaster

Carl, I’ve played several TJ horns over the last year and absolutly love them.

Carl Robinson
                      Participant

The Trevor James do seem to have a good reputation Johhny, the Raw and Raw xs signature series have been getting some excellent feedback from pro players who can put them through their paces. My Teacher gave me some sound advice and said save for good starter Saxophone that will allow you to develop. I’m glad I waited because I looked at a Chinese Tenor, oh mate it was a woeful specimen. Also thanks are in order Johnny because today for the first time I produced a growl on the Sax! I can’t do the humming technique, but rolling the tongue is not too hard. Spent fifteen minutes going from G#-G-F-D-D-F, trying to accent the growl on the G and last F, had a smile as big as a sixteen year old on a promise.Thanks mate.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.