Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Guardala MBI vs MBII

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hi Johnny,
      I was checking out your Guardala demos and wanted to know if, to your ears, does the MBI project off slightly more brighter than the MBII? Seems like the MBII is a little bit darker, the sound spreads out a little bit more? From what others are saying, they seem to be pretty free-blowing. I know they cost slightly more, but when I do get the green light to go ahead and get one, I may actually be looking at the MBI because the way my Trevor James SR Tenor Sax is designed, the bell of the horn is more “broad” than lots of other horns, so the sound spreads out quite a bit…the bell of the horn is more broad than all other Trevor James Saxophones, even more so than the Signature Custom Models. Here’s a video below that explains it a little bit more…If I’m after more of an all-around, neutral Guardala–then would the MBI be a better suited for my needs?

john
      Keymaster

hey Michael I’ll start getting back to those 2 mp’s again real soon. as you ow I’ve been away but do have some playing coming up this week so I’ll be trying those 2 mp’s again.
        lately the one that was feeling best was the MBII Fatboy… with a bigger all round sound.

Michael Bishop
        Participant

No rush Johnny, plenty of time. I’m just now starting to get back to my weekly lessons now in August and it’s all going to be just good-ole basics to just reboot myself and it will probably take me about 3 months before I start feeling like myself again. I did start doing some minor practices and it’s going very well.

john
          Keymaster

so do you feel any pain now?

Michael Bishop
            Participant

No, no pain or at all. Things looking good, just taking it in steps and being cautious…the last thing I want is a relapse. I got a frenectomy earlier the month, that really helped in my recovery. Having ‘tongue-tie’ was discovered to the cause of my problems and not TMJ…thank goodness. I’ve had it my whole life and didn’t know it and it suddenly onset itself after many years. People who have tongue-tie have a very hard time playing any kind of wind instrument, can’t believe I was even able to learn to play a Saxophone having tongue tie. Basically with tongue-tie, I was born with a small tongue with limited mobility and over the years it starts to cause stress in the entire Oral Cavity–it mimicks TMJ, that’s why so many Dentists will mistake it for TMJ (that’s what happened to me) because the symptoms are very similar. Next time you go to your Dentist, ask him about it and notice what he tells you about it.

http://tonguetie.net/consequences/
              http://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ886510
              http://www.fauquierent.net/adulttonguetie.htm

Bill Mecca
              Participant

Michael, My now 22 year old daughter was severely tongue tied. Doctors kept telling us, ” it’s fine, we usually don’t do anything for that today.” Finally got a referal to a cosmetic surgeon. She was young, maybe 3 or four wouldn’t open her mouth to let him look. He was telling us the same thing then she cried, mouth wide open, he took one glance and said “Oh yeah we gotta take care of that.” Come to find out later my dad was similar, and I had, not mu tongue but the frenula connecting my upper and lower lips done for periondontal reasons. Glad to to know you can now stick your tongue out at people. LOL

Keep on honkin’!

Michael Bishop
                Participant

Yep–for some people, as the years pass by and if left alone, tongue-tie causes major problems in the entire Oral Cavity and that’s what happened to me. It mimmicks TMJ, thankfully that’s not what I had. Love your videos Bill, look forward to your next one.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.