Home Forums Problems With Your Sax? growling tips?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Mark Kiziuk Mark Kiziuk 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Reolon
    Patrick Reolon
    Participant

As far as I know, concerning the sound, the reed strength should really make no difference (I am summing up my physics knowledge, and the sound is in fact more in the reed cut/form than its strength).
    The Reed strength is just a compensation for the human organism (diafragma strength, lung volume, lip strength and gut).
    So there is no need train for higher reed stregths, in fact I believe everybody is different and for some people a lower number may be the natural limit, but this should in no way affect the sound produced…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Growling is basically humming a sound while you blow the sax – which everyone knows, a form of multitasking.

An interesting point i came across, apparantly if you hum the 3rd or the 5th or an octave higher of the note you are currently playing,
    you get the most effective growl.

Mark Kiziuk
    Mark Kiziuk
    Participant

Hey everyone! I have some advice on growling. I’ve only had a saxophone for I think 3 weeks and I am able to growl! I will tell you how I do it. I make a gargling sound into my mouthpiece! I gargle without mouthwash of course, but I just gargle, kind of like purring like a cat. It works for me, and I hope this helps others.
    Mark

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.