Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Growling

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Warren Bye
    Participant

Is it possible to tongue the reed, when changing notes, whilst growling?

john
      Keymaster

YES! Here is an example of it:
        https://howtoplaysaxophone.org/peter-gunn-backing-track

Just use a lot of force.

Warren Bye
        Participant

I’m doing something very wrong then! I’ll keep practicing until I begin to get the growling and tonguing in order.

By the way, my throat hurts quite a bit after I practice growling. I take it this will ease once I develop the technique?

john
          Keymaster

If it hurts then it means you’re over doing the technique or practicing for too long or a bit of both. It’s not normal to growl hard and for a very long period of time. Also, we don’t always want a ton of the growl effect, I use it a lot but it’s usually very subtle.

Warren Bye
            Participant

Thanks. I’m at a stage where it doesn’t hurt anymore to growl. Growling on its own is fine, but when I try to add it into a piece I’m playing it sounds odd. Is there any particular place I should or shouldn’t growl, or are there any rules to follow when growling?

john
              Keymaster

Growling is a strong effect to produce out of your saxophone. Use it as a strong expression, wherever you feel that would apply in a song or solo. Check out the videos I have on the saxophone music page, I’ll bet I growl in most of these songs, take notice how heavy it is and where it happens, this can give you a good idea of how I approach it at least. In rock and blues it can be used quite a bit, but I still wouldn’t over do it because when it does happen it’s more noticeable and effective.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.