Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Got my Theo Wanne Durga MP for Alto today :)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

I got delivered my Theo Wanne Durga Mouthpiece for the Alto today from the good folks over at Theo Wanne……this MP is terrific. This is “step 1” towards a pro-model Sax set up that will last me for many, many years to come. The other “steps” in the way of Saxophone(s) will be taken care of in the weeks just around the corner 🙂
      Even on the student model of Altos that I have right now, it only took one note and you immediately notice the difference. It’s VERY free blowing and versatile. In the lower registers you can really add some “gritty” growling. Whether you’re looking to play Blues, Rock, Classic Motown, or modern contemporary music, this MP is a hit 🙂 They’re not the cheapest in the world but definately worth the investment if you’re a player who is gonna stick with the Saxophone long-term and are ready to make the transition from student model Saxophones to the purchase of Pro-Models that you intend to play for years to come and have lots of great fun doing it 🙂
      [img]https://howtoplaysaxophone.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/1q5c7-DSC01711.JPG[/img]
      [img]https://howtoplaysaxophone.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/rj7i2-DSC01712.JPG[/img]
      [img]https://howtoplaysaxophone.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/6x0d6-DSC01710.JPG[/img]

john
      Keymaster

Ya Michael, good for you, you got the best!
        I think the durga would be my choice as well.
        You can see the quality of Theo’s work all over it!

Michael Bishop
        Participant

While out west, I got an unexpected bonus from the hospital I was doing temp.work at and that’s how I was able to get it—my thought was I would love to have one but just didn’t think financially I could pull it off—but it happened anyway 🙂 A Pro-model Tenor Sax wasn’t in the plans either—my wife is helping me pull that one off too! I would LOVE to have one of these things for the Tenor…what a knockout it would be 🙂 We’ll see what happens here very shortly.

According to the music shop where my nephews go for Guitar Accessories, the guy that worked there said I was wasting my $ on a Pro-Model Alto because “only the best players in the world play on Tenors” LOL I had told him about the song “Spooky” by the Classics IV–the original version of that song was an Instrumental on the Alto! When you first mentioned that Earl Bostic was playing on an Alto, I thought that maybe you had accidentally mistyped Alto instead of Tenor……can’t believe that guy’s tone when he plays.

jake
          Participant

sharp looking piece michael!! can’t wait to hear some of your playing with it. i was contemplating a theo model for my tenor. yea pricey but now that i know i’m with it for the long haul, an investment well worth it! would love to try one out myself!!

Michael Bishop
            Participant

If you know for sure that you’re in the Sax for the long haul…heck yeah, go for it. It sounded great on the student-model of Altos I’m using right; let alone on a pro-model Sax 🙂 After the Sax situation is taken care of then modest equipment in the way of home recording is next on the menu. was planning on starting to upload sometime between this Fri-Sun–I haven’t done any uploading for the last 3 months since September, haven’t been able to with being out of town and all. I’ve got 3 songs on the Alto of Johnny’s done and will upload them over the course of the next few weeks. I always tried to upload once a month….the blog is an awesome tool that Johnny has here to help us all get better 🙂

Tim56
              Participant

Mike: Hows that built in ligature work for you? I have just received a Otto Link Tone Master New York It sounds great, but the lig that came with it is poor. Has that same bar on the reed that your new MP does. It moves the reed off to the side when you tighten it. So, I will get a Winslow just like I have for my hard rubber MP. Tim

Michael Bishop
                Participant

The ligature is perfect–allows for a very free-blowing reed. The cool thing about the ligature is that it’s adjustable too–so you can adjust it to where the reed vibrates like crazy or put it to a minimal setting. I’ve been getting a lot of private messages from members who have questions about it so I think I’m going to make a video to post on the blog/here to where can see this Mouthpiece up close and personal. I would strongly encourage anyone who can to check at Theo Wanne MPs–they’re amazing. In fact, I just sold my Vito Alto yesterday and I’m using that $ to get a Theo Wanne MP for the Tenor.

For a few weeks, I’m using a Student Model LJ Hutchen of Alto my bro-in-law got for me while I was out west until my new Trevor James Pro Model Alto arrives in just a few weeks around the corner. The LJ Hutchen is not quite as good as the Vito……..it won’t kill me to use it for a few weeks. But it’s a great beginner’s model of Saxophone and sure beats a China-made Saxophone! The neck of the LJ Hutchen student-model of Alto needs some minor work to it–getting that done this week before I upload Johnny’s 2nd of 3 songs I learned on Alto Sax. The cork on the neck has to be replaced–the MP just slides over the cork because it’s worn out and so the intonation is off. Also, I got to looking and the little Octave key on top of the neck isn’t sealing properly. Just 2 minor repairs..but it’ makes a big difference.

Tim56
                  Participant

Mike: Thats interesting that you can adjust the built in lig. You can’t see that in your pics. The lig that came with my Otto Link is outa here. I’ll order a Winslow in the AM. The lig with the Link slides the reed off the MP when I try to tighten it. A real pain for sure. The Link plays well. It’s a NY with a large chamber. Mellow and darker sound that I like. The Winslow like the one Johnny plays will make it right! Tim

Michael Bishop
                    Participant

Hey Tim56–can you even find a genuine Winslow Ligature these days? I know that the company Saxxas makes ligatures that mimic Winslow Ligatures to the tee–even down to the little rubber pins. I’ve heard that many players had difficulties finding a genuine Winslow ligature, like they we’re being made anymore.
                      http://www.saxxas.eu/ligature.html
                      I know there’s a few companies that sell Saxxas ligatures.

Tim56
                      Participant

Mike: I have a SAXXAS for my Otto Link hard rubber. Works great. Winslow is still here! Send me an email and I will give you his phone. I will call him in the AM and ask if I can put the phone number on the forum. Tim

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.