Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Problems With Your Sax? G problems on tenor

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Warwick Palmer
    Participant

I started out a couple of years ago (maybe more) with an old Japanese Vito, (a YTS23 clone) It was a good horn but the step from C to D always bothered me as the intonation was markedly different. I also had a problem with upper G where I would get a screech until I or the instrument warmed up.
      Some time ago I found a Yanisagawa u900 in absolute pristine condition, so bought it.
      My intonation problems have disappeared but my G problems are worse.
      I play a Couf *4 special (rare) with a 2.5 Rico reed, Plasticover seem to work the best, and also a Berg Larson S.Steel 100 1 M with a 2 1/4 Legere plastic reed to stop the annoying squeaks that you get with cane. Only to be replaced with gurgling since the plastic does not absorb the moisture. I sound like a kid at McDonalds after a few minutes.
      No matter what I do I get a screech for a G until the instrument warms up.
      The Berg is worse than the Couf and much more difficult to play but when the screech is gone it stays gone as long as the mpc is warm, the Couf is less predictable but much easier to play. I am probably getting ahead of myself but I did not want to blame the instrument so bought good plumbing to learn on.
      Any Thoughts??

john
      Keymaster

not getting ahead of yourself, this is good to look at from all angles…
        the saxophone can be a wild beast at times and you are finding this out!
        when I was about 2 years into it I kept screwing up on middle G.
        that note for me just wouldn’t come out right as the others did.
        my teacher made me play that G for 20-30 minutes at a time.
        straight on, from the F#, from the G#, loud, soft, tonguing it, no tongue etc
        after a couple days of this I was able to hit it perfectly.
        if it’s just one or 2 notes I would assume it’s not your equipment and so do what I did for a few days to see if you get over this hump.
        let me know how it goes.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.