Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Show Us Your Sax Finally – just bought a YTS62 vintage purple logo tenor

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Jazz Cat
    Participant

after patiently following YTS62 ebay auctions for months, I finally found a great-looking YTS62 purple logo vintage tenor at a good price (under 2k):

just paid for it, waiting for it to arrive. It’s my biggest online purchase ever, has a 14-day moneyback guarantee; hopefully it plays well; I’ll find out soon:

YTS62a

YTS62b

YTS62c

yay…hope it’s a good horn. buying horns on ebay can be risky, so I was cautious, followed dozens of auctions before choosing this one. no way I’m paying 4-6k for a mkVI, and I love my yas62 I’ve had for 30yrs.

Now I’ve gotta explain why I dropped 2 grand on yet another horn, lol (any ideas?)…

Jazz Cat
      Participant

I’ve got to explain to my wife…this’ll be my 7th horn, my house looks kinda like a music store… havent’ told her yet 😮

Anonymous

lol – i’ve read all those excuses! What ever you come up – keep it to yourself (head slap),
          she could be looking over your shoulder, and reading this now!

The last thing you want to do is drive home home and pass someone in the street walking away with a sax case just like yours,
          and finding a room full of brand new shoes and handbags.

Anonymous

I think if you re-arrange all your saxes, she probably won’t notice a new addition,
            depends on how far she count up to.

Jazz Cat
            Participant

yeah…maybe it’ll arrive when she’s out shopping…I’ll also take her out to lunch more often this week to put her in a good mood, lol

Anonymous

@jazz – you could sell your other 6 horns, buy an enormous diamond, then show her your new horn, and ask her to put her hand in the bell, and let her pull out the enormous diamond?

Mark Kiziuk
                Participant

Congrats Jazz! I want one too now! Hehe. I bought my first sax about 2 weeks ago off of eBay too! I had to re-align mine with cork and felt, I thought it was the pads at first. I almost have it perfect. I hope yours is in good shape! BTW how did you post your photos? And where about in NY r u? I’m in Brentwood, Ny on Long Island.
                  Mark

Jazz Cat
                  Participant

sell my other horns, um nope…I’ll likely buy a good soprano too eventually…i like the idea about a gift, no diamond though, maybe a hello kitty plush lol

Jazz Cat
                    Participant

(thx Mark…fyi I’m not in NY; I posted photos on one of my sites in my network, I run 74+ sites)…

also re buying horns on ebay, here’s what I ask sellers prior to considering buying (feel free to copy/use it):

=============

Hi, quick questions about your sax on ebay:

a) is there any bent or missing keys, damaged guards, broken parts, holes, soldering, pulled-down neck or major dents?
                      b) is there any other damage beyond minor scratches/small dents?
                      c) what condition are the pads in, are there any leaks; do you know if it’s fully playable low Bb thru high F# as it is?
                      d) do you know if this was made in Japan (best) or other country? (for yamahas)
                      e) photo of serial number area showing model #/made in japan, serial#?
                      f) how exactly do you pack and ship it?

In buying saxes on ebay I found out it’s important to ask those questions – it’s fine to reply “no to any of that, it’s in great shape and plays fine”, if that’s the case.

Thanks,

Mark Kiziuk
                      Participant

Sorry Jazz Cat, I thought you said you were in NY. Heh then it must be someone else here on this forum. Yeah before I got my sax, the listing for my sax said that all pads in perfect condition, ready to play! I had someone at work test it and he said a couple of pads leaked and the upper register did not work! I was beside myself! I quickly contacted the person who sold me the sax on eBay and I wanted an explanation of why he said all pads in perfect condition, he was fair and said they looked fine to him, and didn’t have 30yrs of experience playing a sax like my friend at work does, so I let him slide because he gave me an honest answer and I didn’t pay all that much for the sax. I found a local repairman and I was already to bring it to him until I found out a repairman can be costly, so I ordered roo pads for an Armstrong Alto, around 40 bucks, but before it arrived in the mail I noticed that the post that is linked to the upper register was broken off! I resoldered it on, came out like brand new! I’m good at soldering with a propane torch! Then I noticed the felt by the C key was the wrong thickness and prevented one of the pads to fully close! Then I found a weak spring on another key then I found a missing cork on yet another key. I fixed everything myself! No more leaks! And now I have a spare pad kit! Heh!
                        Mark

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.