Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds fibrereeds hemp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    brother cavefish
    Participant

how long do these last comparative to cane, is it worth the money

William Cingolani
      Participant

I think they are well worth the money. I prefer the fiber hemp reed over the cane reed.

john
        Keymaster

they say it’ll last up to about a year. I don’t know tho cause I only started playing them in January.
          I have a Hemp and an Onyx going so I’ll let you know how it goes over the year.
          money-wise it probably ends up being about he same: let’s say a pack of 5-10 reeds lasts you a year
          and that pack costs 20-40 bucks then it’s comparable to synthetics… depending on brand etc.

one can argue pro’s and con’s to both but the pro to a synthetic reed (if it works for you) is that your days of playing through
          boxes, shaving, soaking and constant care etc and then losing the reed’s consistency after days or weeks are over.
          I’m still going back and forth but I’m mostly using the synthetic reeds now cause it’s just too handy to leave it on the sax without a cover and just pick it up and play…no drying out, no warping. mind you, the manufacturer does have certain guidelines about care for them to make them last even longer but I’m not following them.

brother cavefish
          Participant

but hemp is a bio degradable as cane, or is the hemp fibre reed impregnated with something as to make it last

john
            Keymaster

yes, I beleive it’s something like that, Tom Wanne does explain it a bit in the video on my reeds page.
              I think it’s actual hemp with 3 types of wood and synthetic fibers all woven in.

Pete
              Participant

Johnny
                I keep asking ” when will you know about the availability
                of the onyx reeds and if so, what strengths are they available.
                Please would like to know.

john
                Keymaster

I’ve sent out quite a few so far but quickly ran out of the onyx tenor mediums and have been waiting for harry at Fiberreed to make a bunch more…am still waiting. I will send out an email as soon as I get an update. Also, now I’ve ran out of the onyx alto mediums and hemp tenor mediums as well cause a few people re-ordered and got multiples.
                  hopefully I’ll catch up with Harry this week and see what’s up.

brother cavefish
                  Participant

something to think about, right now i am just getting my set up , and am going to use V16s, and an otto link rubber 7*, this is what i used to use, and as i remember i loved the sound of the old raspy voice it gave, also considering the jody jazz giant,

Pete
                    Participant

OK thanks Johnny I will wait to here.

Pete
                      Participant

Sorry meant to say “hear” from you
                        Thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.