Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Fiber hemp reeds

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    William Cingolani
    Participant

I wore out one of my fiber hemp reeds after playing the reed for less than three weeks. My low C would flutter. C# and low B flat and low B would not flutter. So I changed to another Med. Soft fiber hemp reed and no flutter on low C. So I conclude the reed was shot.

Anonymous

That’s interesting, from what i’ve heard, from other players that use fiber reeds, they claim the ones now-a-days seem to have a much shorter life span than ones they used several years ago, could be the manufacturers are trying to make more money?

William Cingolani
        Participant

I’ll try that reed on another mouthpiece, on my metal 8* fatboy.

brother cavefish
          Participant

well its back to cane, i want to try the onyx though

William Cingolani
            Participant

Brother Cavefish. I find the onyx medium soft reed too hard but the hemp medium soft is just right and right now I prefer the hemp reed over the cane reed. I’ll be testing that one hemp reed with different mouthpieces. I don’t think I have a leak since I don’t get the warble in Low C with any other hemp reed. Later today I should have a report. Rock on!
              William

William Cingolani
              Participant

Brother Cavefish; I think that that one fiber hemp reed was faulty. All the other hemp reeds played well. I find the medium soft hemp reed to be like the java 2.5. I also blew my carbon onyx soft reed. I find the soft carbon onyx reed to be like the java 2.5. I used my carbon fiber fat boy and my metal fat boy. With both mouthpieces both reeds had a lot of bravado and edge. I recorded Sound of Silence using both reeds on Garage Band, both tracks side by side. Both tracks sounded good. So I’m sticking with carbon fiber Hemp and carbon onyx. Both reeds responded well when changing from lower register to upper register Rock and Roll I think so far these are the best reeds and I have a drawer full of cane reeds. Rock on!
                William

brother cavefish
                Participant

good info thanks soft might be my ticket

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.