Home Forums Saxophone Reeds Fiber carbon reeds, hemp and Onyx. My personal comments

This topic contains 26 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Tim56 Tim56 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Rick
    Rick
    Participant

Just received my new hemp tenor Reed (M) in the mail yesterday and Have been trying it out on the different mouthpieces that I currently have.
    I have noticed that the reed takes bit more air to get it to play. Also it sounds a bit flat compared to my regular #2.5 Vandoren reeds. Not sure if these reeds need to be worked in a bit before they play better. I have used Fibrecell reed 2.75 and have found that they play brighter off the bat. I also ordered the Onyx fiber carbon alto reed and have founf it to be brighter right from first playing it.

Pete
    Pete
    Participant

Rick
    I found the med hemp to play “straight” off from low Bb
    no problem, only thing I find sometimes a little buzzy
    the onyx is the one I waiting for, Johnny played one on
    demo and Imo it sounded really great and I think he
    was using the carbon m/p, I didn’t find it flat with my
    10M MERLOT HR M/P.

saxjohnny
    saxjohnny
    Keymaster

wow, Rick, it’s quite the opposite for me…I find my hemp M really easy to play and brighter sounding than the onyx.
    Flat? I guess if you’re having a hard time blowing it that could cause you to play flat. keep experimenting a bit, and don’t forget that you can work on them by shaving em down slightly.

William Cingolani
    William Cingolani
    Participant

Hemp reed and Onyx reed;
    To day I played my MS hemp reed and my soft Onyx reed. Both reeds played well from low Bb to high F#. I still have a bit trouble with the fork. I prefer the hemp reed. Both reeds had a soft mellow sounding low Bb which is what I want.I was blowing “You’ve lost that loving’ feeling” in E flat. The first note is low Bb. The hemp reed gave me a nice soft sounding Bb. I recorded a few lines in garage band just to hear what it sounded like.I might be liking this MS hemp reed better than my java 2.5 reeds. I think I might order a spare Fiber HEMP REED MS. I NEED TO FIND THE PLACE on this site where I can order another hemp reed.

William Cingolani
    William Cingolani
    Participant

I found the order page and I just now ordered a spare fiber hemp reed

Pete
    Pete
    Participant

William
    Do you know if the onyx reed is available yet
    I have asked Johnny but not had any reply yet,
    I like the hemp reed ( medium) but find it a
    tad to buzzy. William I think fiber reeds are the way forward
    and a lot cheaper.

Pete
    Pete
    Participant

William
    When I say ” cheaper” I mean long term.

William Cingolani
    William Cingolani
    Participant

Peter,
    I did get my Onyx reed so they must be available. I like the buzz I get from the hemp reed. I ordered a spare hemp reed today, size MS.

Mel
    Mel
    Participant

I have been playing my Black Onyx medium soft reed and I do like it. My Java Red 2 1/2 gives me a more deep bellow on the Bb. I would never hesitate to use the Black Onyx but for now I am going to stick with the Javas.

Pete
    Pete
    Participant

Thanks William, Johnny did say a while back they(onyx)
    were not available for some reason, so you like the onyx
    Mel but prefer java?

Mel
    Mel
    Participant

For now on the Jody Jazz I like my Java Red. The Java Green are also very good but I just get a fuller tone with the Red. Was thinking of trying some Rico Jazz Select reeds some day. Anyone have any experience with those??

Pete
    Pete
    Participant

Yes used rico jazz select and lavoz and java, just pot luck
    with reeds Mel when do you say “utopia, go with the one your
    happy with.

Viewing 12 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.