Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video EWI

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    jake
    Participant

Not trying to inundate anyone. Here is a more subtle jam as I get acquainted with my new toy. Nice range and tons of effects. Like I said not replacing my sax but is fun to play!!

Anonymous

Happy New Year!

Looks like you’re having fun Jake. This will be a great tool for working on new compositions. Not having to work the fingers and chest so hard will mean you can probably play it for many hours without tiring. Definitely something to consider for the musical budget. Thanks

Anonymous

I think it’s worth while buying one of these instruments as a cheaper alternative to spending money on more musical instruments.

My wife and I can’t justify wasting money on buying more musical instruments, not to mention the fact that i would struggle to find the extra time to practice on them.

Be great for playing any piece, to hear how it sounds on a different instrument. I’ll have to start saving up.

cheers Jake! keep showing us what can be done.

jake
          Participant

I see the word “WASTE” as subjective to the person saying it. I started playing music later in life, wish I had started sooner but can’t go back. What is everyone’s goals for their music. Why do you spend the time learning and playing?? Each person needs to ask themselves that.

Me, its purely ENJOYMENT! I love playing the saxophone. It not only brings enjoyment to my life and others I am surrounded by but has opened other doors for new friendships. I wasn’t expecting that when I started learning this instrument. Time is valuable and yeah there is only so much time in my daily routine to get “my time” into playing/practice. Honestly I primarily practice on the tenor sax but there are days when I want to play another sax for fun! I practice my fundamentals but honestly don’t fully commit to the 10/10/10 rules of practice. Is this hurting my learning?? Maybe, but I’m not looking to obtain a career in saxophone playing at this stage in the game. If I can get a decent sound, and people come up to me after playing and are like WOW, how long have you been playing, that gives me great satisfaction!!!!!

So yup, I’m guilty. I have 4 saxophones and now a EWI!! They all don’t get equal play time (sorry other saxes, LOL), but when I play I enjoy it and it leaves me wanting to come back for more!!!! If it weren’t for the satisfaction and uplifting feeling, I may have quit when I started a few short years ago! So for me personally, I am not wasting time and/or money with sharing playtime with other instruments!

Anonymous

Absolutely agree with everything you say Jake, when i say wasting money, i’m refering to our personal circumstances, we just couldn’t justify spending money on more instruments. Luckily i’ve got no interest in playing on tenor or soprano. But the roland ae10 being more affordable than most brass instruments, would allow me to play flute & clarinet sounds etc.. Hopefuly, i can talk the wife into letting me buy one as a 60th birthday present.

jake
              Participant

Gotcha, great points made!!
                One upside with this EWI is I set the fingers to play like a saxophone. Therefore I can imitate other instruments while fingering the sax notes. It also allows me to change to any key I want. It’s nice because intonation is spot on. But as far as playing it goes, it still takes the work of breathing. I get tired as if I were playing the sax. Also I still practice the lessons and principals Johnny provides in his lessons. They hold true to anything I play here! 🙂

Anonymous

The sound quality of either the ewi or the AE10 is good enough for my purposes. What really does it for me is being able to put on head phones and practice without disturbing anyone, especially my daughter if she’s doing homework.
                  The idea of playing other instrument sounds adds the fun factor!

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.