Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video EWI 4000S

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Kevin
    Participant

Hey Jake,
      I also got another instrument at Christmas time. Found used on EBAY. Took me a bit longer to figure out something to play on it. Harder to play than I was expecting, especially the octave rollers, and I still find myself not leaking enough air out the sides of my lips and then having “too much” air.
      Main reason I thought to try one of these was for practicing with headphones on. Hard to get motivated to make it out to my practice room in my pole barn in these cold winter months (especially when my propane runs out), so now I can practice next to my wife in my easy chair and she only hears me struggling to exhale every now and then…
      Another 4 track recording with the various parts done on the EWI. Fun song to play and jam to, though I did need a bit more variety in my improv licks, and I should have showcased more of the various synth sounds it makes. I do plan to purchase some higher quality soundbanks to download to this older instrument. Hopefully I kept it short enough…
      Definitely fun to play with this thing.
      Would like to have done a video instead of just the SoundCloud MP3, but this was quick and easy.

Anonymous

Thanks for sharing that Kevin.

You’ve made me realise the difference between playing on a real sax.

With a real sax, it’s easier to recognise who is playing on the sax, and it sounds more personal.

It’s no big deal, as with piano’s, i can never tell who the piano player is.

But it hasn’t put me off saving up for a roland

Anonymous

It’s not me!

And the Master …

Anonymous

Here’s one from Bob

jake
            Participant

Great sounds there Kevin. Yea those octave rollers are an adjustment. I’m working on johnnys runaway as I wanna do the whole solo with an organ synth with my ewi. It’s really quick and changes octaves so it’s a challenge. Weird there are no palm keys so after C# u make a D fingering but have to change the octave. The challenge is making the transition smooth. You did great on the song above!!!

I got mine to flavor up some songs and to hopefully use it in a band setting. I’m not replacing my saxes And getting a ewi is all personal choice. Like u stated other great benefits are the headphones so you really can play it anywhere.

I have a ewi 5000. I got a imidi interface to use with my iPad and am using sampletank. Great sounding real instruments to use. Sounds like I’m in an orchestra with all the strings. So cool. Good luck with learning on the new toy. Adds some fun to the mix!!

William Cingolani
              Participant

Ya as JF says Ya, sounding great Kevin. I’m still working on Johnny’s Runaway. Jake when the organ play’s the solo I was wondering do I play the solo as the Organ is playing the solo? In the meantime I’ll also be blowing some Blues.

jake
                Participant

William in johnnys version the solo is broken in 2 halves. Johnny does his solo over the 2nd half of the organ solo and it is pretty similar to the organ solo in it. Be warned it is REALLY fast. Haha. Taking me awhile to perfect it. Make sure you have a slow down program. Haha. Good luck with it. Awesome tune!!

john
                  Keymaster

at first I wasn’t gonna play the organ solo cause it’s a good time to take a breather but I had ironed it earlier and thought I’d better play it at least once thru.
                    you guys should work it out and play along with the organ if you can. it’s good practice…but either way, that organ solo is a huge part of that song and I think it’s pretty cool to play along on sax (at least once!)

William Cingolani
                    Participant

Ya Johnny. I’ve been practicing the whole solo. I have to sing/hum/ da da dah it and then play it.

jake
                      Participant

So funny you say humming it. I’ve been playing it so much it is stuck in my head, I hum the solo all day and even wake up at night humming it!! I think Del Shannon is haunting me! Yea, that solo is a huge part of that song. Glad you covered on the sax, it sounds amazing!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.