Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Everybody good ? !!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jak Swift
    Participant

☺ Hi folks. Hope y, all enjoying any summer you are having. The UK having its usual half assed effort. At least the Sun came out for the good folk a Glastonbury festival. Just watched Barry Gibb totally kill it !! Amazing band, the great seventies grooves. ” Saturday night fever “… Man that album funked out some hits.

So, I’ve been off of social media but for the odd comment cause I has been a playin and a playin some more…and more. It was a real blast to close my FB account. They really don’t like it !! Every day, your missing this, that,…zilch !!
      I don’t trust e bay…period. I had to buy a tenor and bari , so my only option was to sort the ones that suited but in this country. Buying from the States right now is out. The dollar pound is almost parity. 20% tax…and the WAIT !!!! MAN, My bari mpc took almost a month !!

So, yeah…mpcs. Different schools of thought. Number one. A good player will sound the same on any mpc. Bull*** !! A Dukoff does not sound like a slant link. Number two. Its not good to change mpc too often. Agreed, but you gotta try them to find what suits. I have Bergs, Lawton’s, Lakey, and…drum role…Link. Yup, for years I’ve wanted to get ” link friendly “. I’ve missed this old Berg I had for years and couldn’t find one to match. Too close, too wide, I went up to 130, but could only work the mpc on the softest reeds. It sounded thin. I been listening to a lot of Greg Piccolo. Listening to him, I thought I’d give it another go , and have been playing an 8* for the last six weeks or so. All the other mpcs can just sit around for now. How many times have I wanted a certain sound and thought ” yeah, but I sold it “… Duh !!

jak Swift
      Participant

So, yeah the FB comment. They have these sax buy sell ,discuss, haggle. Managed to sort tenorsax and bari off of the sites, both delivered on the cash speaks principle… Groovy. But yeah the link stays for the forsseable. Played with a local guy a week or so back , asked his opinion. Big air !!! I guess , well its my opinion, that you can’t really move around a link until your chops are more developed. They are not that friendly, a bit resistant, and do take a constant push from the diaphragm..through the horn, not into it. Watch Scott Hamilton, he’s really working it.
        The Lakey was $50 on some site or other. I liked its profile, but had no idea what 4 over 3 meant 😕 !!
        Its turned out to be a funky comfortable blow. If the band require walking sax bass lines, its an option. My chops are still getting tired after a coupla hours.

Reeds. No comment. All my mpcs t\ b have ” bari reeds. I’m just into the consistency. Its what I need rich right now .

Backing tracks !! Thanks JF…they are quality, and a quality work out. I haven’t yet bought any more, as I mid thought out my practicalities. I don’t want to take an expensive soundbar busking. Even if I did the tracks are on my pad. I’d have to seek a roaming network. No, the Nikita, I pod, was a better option but hey, I have a great house set up. The tunes ? I’m getting them down. Same issues with the Jr Walker altissimo. In my defence, this 10M is underslung. At times, fork E\F won’t come out but D 5 will. I’m tempted to say it needs checking out but its a chops thing. More overtones. Other than that , I love them and look forward to having a full ” bar set “

jak Swift
        Participant

Final thoughts. ” Violets for your furs ” has haunted me. Offhand I don’t remember, but at a guess I’ll thank Mel for his great work loading up the tunes. Yeah, ole Von Freeman has me intrigued. One of those players who sound sublime or dreadful. No gray ??
          So, finally….if your long tones, altissimo, slap tongue is done…and the dog walked, you should check out ” Great Scott ” a film about Mr Hamiltons rise to fame. I only call him Scott cause he’s a fellow link player…😉

jak Swift
          Participant

HEALTH % HAPPINESS FOLKS !!☺

Mel
            Participant

Liked the Great Scott interview Jak.

jak Swift
              Participant

Yeah, I’ve been listening to him a lot lately Mel. Talks a lot of sense and to say he blows that link better than most ?….oh yeah !!
                Making great steps on mine. I don’t think I’ve ever switched mpcs more comfortably. Hope your good Mel, speak soon man…

jak Swift
                Participant

Don’t know too much about it , but I’m pretty sure I read , Mr Hamilton has some kind of inoperable brain tumour. If you are of a religion, please offer prayers. If not , like me, just send good vibes to one of the worlds greatest tenor men. Bless you Scott, and thanks for hours of pleasure….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.