Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Saxophone Tips Embouchure

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Some useful stuff

jak Swift
      Participant

I’ll look these clips over now. I try to avoid making playing suggestions and tips, better left to Johnny. Coupla things I use….firstly, the ” pen “. Take a standard Biro, plastic and round if possible. Hold it between your lips ONLY, no teeth grips, no tooth contact period…lips only. Keep your head erect, place the Biro between your lips and make it stick out totally horizontal. Sounds easy I know, but you’d be surprised. Chances are it will fall immediately. Keep at it. Three seconds. Got that, try four five seconds, but no cheating. The pen has to be totally horizontal. Do it as often as possible, but don’t overdo it. Little by little, otherwise overkill will just cause burn and fatigue.

jak Swift
        Participant

Second; an old Joe Lovano thing. At the end of each practice session, take a break. Come back to your horn and ” disable ” the sling. Now the horn is hanging about chest height, dependant on your size. The long sling is just a safety measure. Essentially, try to get five minutes of long tones. The sling is useless, just there as I don’t want to hear that you’ve dropped your horn, but in essence your playing as if your just holding the horn, without a sling. Don’t ask me how, but five minutes each day, again building the time slowly….it does wonders for your sound !!!!

Anonymous

thanks for sharing, i’ll have to try the joe lovano tip next week

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.