Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Dukoff Super Power Chamber

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gareth Edwards
    Participant

When I bought my vintage King it came with a goody bag of various old mouth pieces, which to tell the truth, are probably worth more than what I paid for the horn. I’m using one, an ebonite Berg Larsen, which is great – but amongst the others there’s a metal Dukoff Super Power Chamber S5, from way down in Florida, where the oranges grow. It’s a pig to play, loud and harsh in the lower register, screaming in the high (and not in a good way). Now, whilst I’m sure this has a lot to do with my novice technique, there is an ugly, pitted lump on the ramp and pitting in the chamber (I’m guessing it’s corrosion – nasty stuff, saliva!). So my question is – would this make the MP unplayable and can it be salvaged?

Looking online, these MPs seem to go for a lot of moolaw, and I understand they can be great for hard, powerful RnB playing – so I’d like to give it a go. Anybody got any experience of these? Any advice gratefully accepted!

Gareth Edwards
      Participant

Here’s the offending article, by the way:
        3a654-Dukoff.jpg

john
        Keymaster

Doesn’t look like corrosion as much as it does sloppy work but hard to tell. Still, you can have a sax guy do some work on it if he’s good with mp’s …not all are.

I used a Dukoff for a while many years ago while I was searching for the “perfect” metal mp. It was a good step up from what I was using but I soon found something better, but yes, it’s well-known for it’s bright R&B sound if that’s what you’re after.

Johnny

Dan Fleming
          Participant

I don’t know if Johhny has a policy against promoting sax repair/mouthpiece refacers, but I have had good luck with Mojo refacing my Dukoffs. The inside looks like faulty casting but he’ll make that smooth as a baby’s butt and it’ll play pretty sweet too. Dukoffs take some getting used to but soon enough you’ll control the loud and harsh tone and enjoy playing the piece. Good luck.

Gareth Edwards
            Participant

Thanks for the advice – I’ll get my tech guy to take a look.

Stevan Thomas
              Participant
                Quote:
                Quote from saxjohnny on September 21, 2013, 10:36
                Doesn’t look like corrosion as much as it does sloppy work but hard to tell. Still, you can have a sax guy do some work on it if he’s good with mp’s …not all are.

I used a Dukoff for a while many years ago while I was searching for the “perfect” metal mp. It was a good step up from what I was using but I soon found something better, but yes, it’s well-known for it’s bright R&B sound if that’s what you’re after.

Johnny

I have a Tenor LD6 I love on a dark horn. It has pizzazz and some edge while still being round and dark. I was looking at this site which has a link to MP refacers http://theowanne.com/knowledge/refacers Theo Wanne also makes MPs and horns. I just discovered the site, so do your own poking around.

I have a Martin alto (1945) that’s the same horn Art Pepper played. I tried the Gregory that he used and didn’t like it. Paul Desmond apparently also used a Gregory. I’m liking my Meyer 5MM with a large chamber and have another 5MM with a medium chamber, which is a little brighter and both are very easy to play.

The other tenor MPs I have are a Meyer 6MM large chamber and a Florida Link Super Tonemaster 5 that seems to be an early Babbitt. The link to the mouthpiece museum is: http://theowanne.com/knowledge/mouthpiece-museum

Have fun!

john
                Keymaster

I like the Meyer on alto too. Better yet is the Claude Lakey for a bigger and brighter sound.
                  Theo is one of the best mp makers living today I beleive.
                  he was in town where I live a year or so ago and did a session at the sax shop where I go to. it was great and he sat there touching up a few mp’s. I did play one of his better ones and loved it, it went for over $700 tho.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.