Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Downsized from 2.5 strong to 2.5 medium reed….WOW.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hey guys,
      On my latest videos of Careless Whisper, Johnny recommended I downsize on my reed because the video sounded too flat. A size 2.0 reed is too thin for me and a 3.0 is too thick for my chops. I’ve been using a 2.5 “strong” sized reed and went back down to 2/5 “medium” reed……what a difference. The reed is able to vibrate SO MUCH MORE freely than the “strong” strength that I started using. While the tuner shows that the 2.5 “strong” grade of Rigotti Gold Reed is still in tune and I can hit the Altissimo notes easily on it, and yes I do have some recording bugs to work out–it’s apparent that the 2.5 “strong” grade of reed wasn’t vibrating as freely; the “strong” grade of reed is just too stiff for me to get it to vibrate/buzz as freely..at least it had nothing to do with my own personal playing. I had some of my guitar playing friends with the Blues Society come over to my house and look at my recording set up and they told me for the kind of recording I want to do, I simply MUST take care of the mic problem–it’s just NOT cut out for recording a Saxophone/any kind of music, but they said the software I’m using is really good…and it better be! It’s through Cyberlink and it’s brand new, there’s nothing wrong with it; perfect for recording.
      This is a good lesson because before we start worrying about thinking that maybe a certain MP isn’t right for us/and we start investing $ into all kinds of MPs, the solution to our problem can be just as simple as buying a box of reeds. However, for the moment, I’m going to “hold off” on making any videos until I can get the Mic/recording problem fixed. It was recommended that I get a Mic that uses a portable USB interface and that will solve the problem. I wanna get this recording problem fixed as soon as I can because I can’t help but WANT TO share what I’ve learned from Johnny with everyone! I’ve met so many great people here on Johnny’s site and in the local music community 🙂

Anonymous

Thats great Michael glad to hear everything is sorted.

But i don’t understand why you didn’t you notice there was a problem with your recording?

Don’t you watch/listen to your final video recordings before uploading them to the blogg?

jake
        Participant

That’s so funny because I did the opposite for my tenor. I went from Riggoti Gold 2.5 medium to 2.5 Strong and those higher notes comes out more easily. When I hit it, the high F# screams. As long as I’m aggressive on the reed I generate a nice buzz with them too.

wayne wojnarowski
          Participant

I’m playing on a yanigasawa 7 opening hard rubber on a yanigasawa alto. I’m using all types of reeds meaning brands in regards to strengths I stick to 3,3.5 in regards to Ricos that come in soft, med or hard I try all of them as well. Is that bad??? I also “doctor them up” so to speak. There was a book out there on the subject, yes there is some trial and error involved, however you would be amazed at how you can turn a piece of lumber into a pretty respectable reed. Having said that now you guys know I have way to much time on my hands! which is true but least I’m not married!!!!LOL Would a metal mouthpiece be a good thing for me to contemplate?? I left a bit of my playing under the introduction part of this forum, any suggestions? I’m using a 3.5 Rico Royal

Ridge
            Participant

Wayne listened to your recording. I think your setup is right on. I am 64 yrs old trying to relearn the alto sax after 45 yrs. My setup is a buescher aristocrat,#2 vandoren V16 reed on a #7 hard rubber Jody Jazz mouthpiece. I like the vandoren reeds.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.