Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Does Anyone Play The Soprano Sax or Clarinet??

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mel
    Participant

I just got back from 5 days in New Orleans for the French Quarter Jazz Festival. What some great old time music we experienced! I was amazed at how great the sound was with the Soprano Sax and Clarinet. Also checked out a couple clubs and heard some great Tenors also. Those old time brass bands also were great.

Anonymous

Wow – sounds like you had a great time.

My daughter plays clarinet with a synthetic reed, and unlike the saxophone, a synthetic reed on a clarinet sounds a hell of a lot different to a cane reed on the same clarinet. Possibly down to the fact that clarinets are made of wood.

john
        Keymaster

does it sound better or worse on a clarinet?

Anonymous

Both reeds sound great on a clarinet, but have a slightly different flavor.
            I would say its the equivalent of using a different ligature on a saxophone.

john
            Keymaster

interesting, I thought the clarinet would be less forgiving

Anonymous

the quality of synthetic reeds for a clarinet now-a-days is good enough to play on.

If you listen to two clarinets playing the same tune and they sounded slightly different, you might think ones playing with a different mouthpiece, unless you were told the reeds were different.

Plastic clarinets sound different to wooden clarinets, overhere in the uk if you want to play above grade 5, then you have to use a wooden clarinet, or buy a very good mouthpiece for the plastic clarinet.

wooden clarinets cost as much as a cheap Pro saxophone, so a lot of kids have to make do with a better mouthpiece

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.