Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Saxophone Lessons Christmas Songs

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Rainer Backes
    Participant

Hi,

I just bought and downloaded the 3 Christmas Song bundle, and I wonder if there is a special reason, why ‘Rocking around the Christmas Tree’ comes with Chords, but the others don’t. I play Saxophone (mostly Tenor), but also the Guitar – that’s why I would like to have the Chords, too.

Thanks

Rainer

john
      Keymaster

I think I included the chords cause there’s a solo
        But I have been including chords on all my new downloads now and will go back and add the
        Unfortunately I’m touring right now and won’t be able to get those done for several weeks

Johnny

Dazza
        Participant

I set myself a challenge to learn some carols by ear and learned Santa Claus Is Coming to Town quite quickly playing in F. I’m pretty proud of that effort and surprised how I found the notes without too much effort. Different story with Feliz Navidad. Learning that before I buy your backing track JF but what a struggle. Will be interesting to finally see the sheet music and will definitely need that to master the solo. Anyway, listened to your video a thousand times and wondering if at the end of the first verse on second time through it would be “wrong” to end with an e, d rather than g, f. It sounds ok to me as it seems to finish the phrase off nicely. I plan to play this one publicly in December and in front of seasoned musos which is in part the reason for the question. I have found that the song notes stick in your head faster when I went through the process so maybe that’s a sign of how to learn a new song.

john
          Keymaster

Those are 3rd’s so harmonically correct
            Play it that way if it sounds good to you
            I’d like to try it myself and give you my personal opinion but I’m at a crowded airport and don’t want to whip out my horn!
            If I think of it later ill get back to you

Dazza
            Participant

I think I meant the solo in Winter Wonderland not Feliz. It’s a nice sounding solo that’s not too complicated. Is that your own or part of the original tune?…and I’m sure the crowds wouldn’t mind if they got a surprise performance in the airport. Acoustics would be good!

john
              Keymaster

I just tried playing that as you suggest and playing the e d instead of g f leaves the melody hanging without a strong enough resolve to my ears at least
                So I wouldn’t do it in the melody but it’s harmonically correct so could use it in the solo

altosaxplayer1614
                Participant

Wish I could get a copy of “Silver Bells” but don’t have a credit card to purchase it. That is one of my favorite Christmas songs and I really enjoy your version of it. I’ve figured out “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” and “Little Drummer Boy” maybe have to figure out “Silver Bells” as well!

Dazza
                  Participant

Good luck working out Silver Bells as it modulates from an easy key of F to F# in Johnny’s tenor version which is harder to get your fingers around. Maybe JF could rate his songs easy to advanced and list the key it is in just as a guide before we buy. Too late for this year but perhaps he might republish in E to F next year if we ask nice. Then again, I might be fluent in F# in 6 months!

altosaxplayer1614
                    Participant

Got the section in F figured out now have to figure out the F# section!

altosaxplayer1614
                      Participant

Figured it all out after taking a break and coming back to it!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.