Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Choosing between a 2, 2.5 and a 3

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mark Konrad
    Participant

Good afternoon,

well I have been playing for 3 months now, if I can call that playing… I am pretty much into the Christmas songs right now and generally it works fine. But I still have a feeling that I have not made the right choice with my reeds yet.

I am using a 2 and a 3 reed from Rico on my Yamaha 4C. On the 2 reed I sure do not need that much air to get out a tone, but specially the change to the higher octave and getting back down does produce some unpleasant high sounds.
      This I resolve while playing with the 3 reed, but for this I reaaaally have to get my air inside and to press my cheeks to get it going, but it sounds better.

So… is it that I am doing something wrong or will a 2.5 reed from Rico probably solve my problem until I am prepared to move to the 3 reed?

Thanks already for the help!

john
      Keymaster

I think going up a full size is much too drastic of a jump. Going to a 2.5 will be an easier transition while still providing some of the benefits you need from a thicker reed. Also remember that you must have a box or 2 because there are only a few really good reeds in any one box.
        Soak all the reeds and then play them one by one and you’ll soon discover which ones are the good ones and which are bad.

Mark Konrad
        Participant

Thanks 😀 I will do that and let’s see how it goes, I will keep you posted.

Good work Johnny, keep doing it!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.