Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds change in tone

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

this week moved up from a number 2 V16 to a
      2.5 V16 reed.

Noticed having to use more air support and firmer lip pressure all round. But the result – a more fuller deep sounding tone in the low register than before, and higher up the register a more wider sounding pitch than before!

john
      Keymaster

that’s exactly what supposed to happen JB!
        stronger reeds will ultimately give you a bigger sound, of course we can’t jump those numbers overnight and even then it takes some work as you are experiencing. the embouchure needs to build up some strength now that’s it’s controlling a heavier reed…it’s like exercising muscles in the gym to make them grow.

Anonymous

Thanks for that tip Johnny – i shall persevere with it!

Anonymous

Three weeks have passed now, using the 2.5 reed & although the bottom lip is slightly sore, the sax now has a more heavy sound in the lower register & the upper register has a stronger tone – also the altissimo notes up to C in the 4th octave are a lot easier and firmer sounding.

I tried out the flutter tongue & single tonguing & double tonguing with my sax teacher – which seem ok, the double tonguing needs more work on it. The flutter i can now do with the tip of the tongue – so i can now flutter tongue 2 different ways.

Still got a lot more finger technique to work on in the 16th notes..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.