Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video Careless Whisper on Alto Saxophone

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Sorry about this one being a little late, we had some technology issues. I had created a background screen for this and a few other upcoming videos that requires the Green Screen to be behind me while playing and we use LED lights as a light source for the Green Screen. Got ready to make this one and one of the LED lights goes on the glitz…just love the timing of things LOL I stopped what I was doing and went to several stores yesterday looking to replace it…no one had the one I needed…the “joys” of technology. Can’t imagine learning to play from Johnny without playing this song, everyone loves it. The first several uploads are going to be on Alto Sax, including a 5 minute Blues Instrumental. Most folks don’t associate the Alto with Blues..what a mistake. The guys locally I’ve been starting to play with think it’s really cool to use both the Alto and Tenor, they typically like me alternating between the 2 Saxophones.

john
      Keymaster

Hey Michael, gotta compare your sax with the tuner again. actually, I think the reed you’re using is too hard cause it sounds like you’re having to over work it. when this happens it’s easy to play flat…almost sounds like a semi-tone under so work with the tuner some on the set up you got there, but probably better to go a reed size lower too.

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Okay, I’ll check it again. It’s sounding flat? I checked it with the tuner after I warmed up and right before uploading and the tuner showed it was right exactly on the mark; but I’ll check it. Thanks 🙂

Anonymous

Thanks for uploading Michael.
            Question to you, when you play back your recording and listen to it does it sound in tune to you?

If i go up a higher reed, my tone sounds more dull, and if i go up a mouthpiece size i don’t sound as in tune.

Its either you haven’t got the right setup for your sax, or youv’e got issues with your tuning.

In terms of tuning i tune on 4 notes – low F#, mid F#, Mid C & Mid D. and i play those notes along side a pitch sound & look at the needle. The reason i do a Mid C and a Mid D, is those 2 notes on my sax – the C is always flat and the Mid D is always sharp, even when both F#’s are in Tune! So i embouchure them in tune!

A another good thing to do is play C major over 2 octaves and look at the needle for each note, my upper octave is always sharper. So i have to embouchure that down.

Another tip in turns if recordings, its better to record after you’ve been playing over half an hour or so – everything gets loosened up, just like in jogging.

But keep at it Michael!

Michael Bishop
            Participant

Hey guys,
              I had 3 friends come over today with their guitars and we did some quick recording…..there’s something going wrong with the recording/editing process and it has to do with the interface. There’s no way 3 experienced guitar players can be out-of-tune; I see these guys play almost every week. I checked my playing multiple times against a tuner and I’m right on the mark. I checked it before playing this video and it was perfectly in tune. Same thing happened to all 3 of my guitar friends this morning. A mic with a portable USB interface will solve the problem. I’ve had this mic for a while and it wasn’t the best one in the world to begin with, but it served its purpose for the time being, but looks like it needs to be addressed and fixed now. At least I now know what the problem is and my guitar friends from the Blues Society told me they’re going to help me solve the recording/interface problem, so that’s a real plus. Thanks for your help/input everyone 🙂

Kevin
              Participant

Michael, this video is as you will see- your video playing on my laptop, my tuner app on my I-pad responding to the laptop speaker audio, and me recording the setup with my phone. What came out of this is that when you are playing notes in the D to A range (B to F Alto fingering) with moderate volume the notes are played pretty much in tune. This would lead to the conclusion that your mouthpiece tuning adjustment has the sax pretty much playing in tune. But when you go after certain notes and are changing the volume(dynamic expression) your control of the intonation suffers.
                So on the tuner app if any part of the green bar is aligned to the reference line your pitch will pretty much sound in tune to most listeners. Faster passing notes can be a bit further off the bar and not be too noticeable, but when the bar gets to either side of the window it definitely sounds “sour”.
                Controlling the intonation on the sax is a challenging order to say the least. Embrochure and air delivery have to be dialed in together, and that is a moving target with the dynamics of volume, embellishments, lip fatigue, on and on…
                For you not to hear that in the recording before choosing to upload it, is a question James posed and I will also pose it, because if you’re not hearing those glaringly “sour” notes …. (gotta go for now)(I always look forward to hearing your participation and rooting for your progress!)

Anonymous

Michael – just remember when you use a tuner it is only designed to accurately work with one pitch on its own – when other pitches occur at the same time – the readings are not very reliable.

It is far more accurate to watch your tuner while just playing the sax on its own, or get someone to mark on your music sheet any notes that are badly out, while they watch the tuner.

When you playback a recording, you should be able to hear any really out of tune notes played, like in an audience.

Anonymous

This is another work in progress! (wish i could play this properly)
                    I’m having the same problems as Michael,
                    i need to get proper Mic & speakers,
                    my i-touch picks up the backing track clearly,
                    but muffles the sax sound.

probably my worst upload ever..but having fun!

john
                    Keymaster

That tuner video was great Kevin!
                      Michael, another idea that may help is to record yourself playing this song along with my version. then listen to it and see where your sax is sitting as far as intonation goes. experiment on this by either mouthpiece position and/or air and embouchure control. the “sour” spots are usualy from not stopping a note delibritely with the tongue but rather letting it fade away on it’s own…this fading away is what makes it get flat on it’s way out. by stopping them before they do this you can fix much of that sour stuff mentioned.
                      as for not hearing the intonation properly, this is not accomplished in a day or 2 and does take some work and effort, something I know you can do because of how much improvement you’ve made in all other areas of your playing. get focused on this part for the next little while and you’ll get on to it.

Dazza
                      Participant

Hey JB. Nice stuff and a cool track. I downloaded your mp3 and will give it a go to play along with you and record it and see what comes. Can you give me the chord structure as I just can’t pick it up fully no matter how hard I listen. Is it in C or Cm by chance?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.